IIRC, the Detroit Lions got in a bit of trouble a few years back when they hired Mariuchi or Morningwheg or Marinelli...well...one of the "emms" anyway because Detroit did not interview a minority candidate. Something about "Millen wanting his guy and not taking a fair look at other candidates" or something along those lines.
- Does UM have to go through this process (I'm not saying it's a bad thing, btw) or is it strictly an NFL thing? Can Dave Brandon just hire whomever he wants without a committee or search or anything?
- How is it that this JH to UM thing is so quiet? Where are all the websites tracking airline flights (not a fan of this, btw) that may or may not be carrying UM interviewers or interviewees?
Also, if JH is not introduced as coach in the 'back half of the week' how badly does this reflect on Brandon? If there is no deal in place to replace RR with JH at this point, this is going to go from bad to worse in a heartbeat. Brandon has been talking about 'evaluation' for a while now. That has to be BS at this point and clearly a back up plan to JH bailing. However, after the bowl game, seems like the general feeling is that it's Harbaugh or bust at this point. No other coach will do. If the 'evaluation' has not been a cover up for a behind the scenes deal to hire JH after his bowl game tonight, UM football is seriously screwed, RR is hamstrung and Dave Brandon is responsible for at least this:
- Completely undermining his current coach (RR)
- The lack of focus in bowl preparations/game play due to coaching change
- General current and future recruiting fiascos (Zettel to PSU, Dee Hart decommit)