Dave Brandon was on WJR this morning on the Frank Beckmann show. Happened a few hours ago, but I haven't seen it posted yet, and not everyone on this board can get AM 760.
Here's the highlights that I remember:
- DB DOES want MSU and OSU to play UM each year.
- DB does NOT want Michigan to play OSU at the end of the year going into a championship game. He said no coach or TV person wants to see the same two teams match up in consecutive weeks.
- The conference's primary means for determining which schools go into which divisions is based on each programs performance.... # of wins, conference titles, bowl appearances, etc. Geography is NOT a consideration.
- The year that Penn State came into the conference is as far back as the conference is looking when evaluating programs.
- The top 4 teams are OSU, UM, Nebraska, and PSU.
- UM and OSU are NOT going to be in the same division.
Reading into what he said, it looks like MSU will probably be in our division and OSU will be a protected match-up scheduled some time before the last regular season game. He said he's fighting very hard to have us play those two schools each year and I can't see them giving UM two protected teams on the schedule, thus MSU in the same division.
He did stress several times that the divisions will be formed based on past performance (dating back to PSU's entry into the conference) more than anything else; and he reiterated that geography is a non-factor.
Dave Brandon's a straight shooter and doesn't mince words. He did add that Coach Rod's future is not determined by a "number" (of wins). He's the AD and he has access to far more metrics than win / loss stats. Those metrics (and he listed a bunch) are what DB looks at.