Not too sure how many SportsBusiness Journal readers are out there, but thought I would let everyone know that Dave Brandon and Mark Hollis were nomiated for SBJ Athletic Director of the year. They list several 'highlights' for both:
- Hired football coach Brady Hoke, who led the Wolverines to an 11-2 record, a win over Ohio State and a victory in the Sugar Bowl
- Corporate background brought a new approach to building the Michigan brand and finding ways to increase revenue (this one is sure to get under some skin on this board..)
- Played the first night game at Michigan Stadium in a nationally televised showdown against Notre Dame
- Completed new facilities for Michigan State's baseball, softball, and soccer teams, now upgrading its football stadium with new video boards
- Brand strength bolstered by the Spartans wearing Nike's new Pro Combat uniforms during the 2011 football season
- One of six founding members of the Big Ten hockey league, which will begin play in the 2013-2014 season
Other nominees were Bill Bradshaw (Temple), Jeff Long (Arkansas), and Ian McCaw (Baylor). My vote would be for Jeff Long just for the way he handled the Petrino mess - I don't think many other AD's could have handled it better than Long did.
In the sports business world these SBJ awards are highly coveted, so I guess they are a big deal for insiders, but thats about it.
Link to article here: