ESPN has an article comparing the assistant coach salaries in the Big Ten.
(Note: Because Northwestern and Penn State are not subject to the same state open-records laws as other schools, their information was not available):
- Ohio State: $3.29 million
- Michigan: $2.93 million
- Illinois: $2.3 million
- Michigan State $2.2 million
- Nebraska: $2.15 million
- Iowa: $2.1 million
- Minnesota: $2.1 million
- Indiana: $2 million
- Wisconsin $1.77 million
- Purdue: $1.61 million
Well this makes sense why Bielema wanted out of Wisconsin. They obviously aren't willing to pay their assistants to keep them around. What's not surprising, is Michigan and Ohio are 1,2.
Top Paid Coordinators
- Luke Fickell, co-defensive coordinator, Ohio State: $761,000
- Greg Mattison, defensive coordinator, Michigan: $758,900
- Al Borges, offensive coordinator, Michigan: $658,300
- Pat Narduzzi, defensive coordinator, Michigan State: $501,700
- Tom Herman, offensive coordinator, Ohio State: $456,000
- Everett Withers, co-defensive coordinator, Ohio State: $456,000
This list isn't very surprising, except for the fact that Ohio pays their co-defensive coordinator the same amount as their offensive coordinator.