5 reasons to be positive as Delaware State looms on the horizon:
(1) C'mon, the fanbase was concerned Michigan would be 2-4 at this point. Michigan is 4-2 with two late losses on the road, without "the best player on our offense," with a hobbled Brandon Minor and one game without Carlos Brown. There's no shame in that and our players have played well.
(2) Delaware State lost 9-7 yesterday to previously winless Bethune-Cookman. The stats for the Hornets were hideous: at home, 166 total yards, 18:49 of possession, 9 first downs. They are now 1-3.
(3) Big Will Campbell played about 10 snaps on defense last night, in the first quarters. I saw him get blown up after he had BAD PAD LEVEL on one play, and he went back 6 yards, but overall he played decently.
(4) On that note, let's hope that the DSU game will see heavy rotation and rest for our regular starters, and that the following players see time in anticipation of helping the rest of the year: Van Slyke, Leach, Emilien, Mike Jones (already playing on special teams), Brandon Smith (two fine KO returns last night), Teric Jones, Sagesse, and of course, Big Will Campbell.
(5) On offense, let's hope the main starters have to play no more than the first half and can rest (especially Brown, Minor and Tate). I hope to see the following offensive players get lots of time next Saturday to build some depth and 2010 optimism: Roundtree, Stokes, MIKE COX, Shaw, Omameh, Khoury, Barnum, Kelvin Grady, and fanbase favorite Elliott Mealer.
Final extra note: I consider it a positive that the team is able to deal with Cissoko's problems, and suspend the kid at a position of severe depth problems, and it is able to adapt, adjust and almost defeat the nation's No. 12 team on the road, at night, in a homecoming game.
Hold your heads up - this team is playing well and on the right track. There's no reason it cannot get to 8 wins the way it's playing. GO BLUE.