Hey guys. I am interviewing Jim Brandstatter tomorrow afternoon and figured there's a ton that I could ask him. I thought I'd enlist your help to get me the best question set possible. I'll pick the best ones besides the ones I've already set aside. Thanks for the help!
Ask Jim Brandstatter
Who are you?!
The next Barbara Walters.
With the three obvious distinctions among Loyd Carr, Rich Rod and Coach Brady Hoke who do you enjoy interviewing the most and why?
He wouldn't answer that. He's too PC
This was probably going to be asked anyway, but do you have a favorite game that you've called? Or can you at least name some of your favorites?
how is calling a Lions game different than calling a Michigan game, and which does he enjoy more?
"Michigan wins!" about twice as many times in his career as the Lions?
for so long, I'm sure there's plenty to be said not only of how the team itself has evolved, but also the fan base.
What does Jim think of the mobilized online UM community? Does he read MGoBlog?
- Did you read Three and Out?
- If so, would you recommend it to your old teammate Dave Brandon, who (according to Departmental press releases) has not read it?
- Would you confirm the accuracy of Bacon's reporting of your conversations with him?
- Can you more fully expand on your own conversations with Michael Rosenberg and Mark Snyder, regarding their 2009 reporting?
- As someone who is both a member of the media but also a quasi-official representative of Michigan football, how do you feel about the current treatment of John U.Bacon by the Athletic Department (shunning his book, cutting off his access, banishment to the back row of the press box, canceled as a speaker by the University of Michigan Club of Greater Detroit -- the latter of which I presume Jim is a member, possibly a former Board member, and who is himself one of the organization's most oft-requested speakers and hosts)?
that's more of an interrogation than an interview
I'd love to hear the answer to these questions!
Maybe pose them differently, more tactfully, but it WOULD be interesting if he answers them truthfully.
Those are great questions and are also fair.
Please ask these!!
Tell us about Bo's last day.
Did you get my last twitter message?
Check it, y'all.
Considering the creation of the Big Ten Championship game, split divisions, as well as Nebraska's program, what is your experience with Nebraska joining the Big Ten? Is it overall positive, negative, neutral and why?
What was his favorite Michigan team to watch from the press box ?
french crullers and bear claws as much as glazed donuts?
Ask him how he survived 2008 with his teams going 3-25. I was waiting to hear about him having a heart attack that year.
On that note, a more positive question to ask could be:
Given the 2008 seasons for UM and the Lions, which seemed farther away: playoff birth for the Lions or BCS bowl win for UM?
1. What effect do you think Urban Meyer will have on the rivalry? On recruiting?
2. Michigan exceeded expectations this year by all accounts. How far away is Michigan from being named among those in the national championship hunt?
3. How does Michigan beat Alabama this September?
4. When the pressure is on, do you think about brunettes?
5. Taco Bell or Wendy's?
Jim, we have seen a lot of interaction between you and Coach Hoke on camera (Inside Micigan Football, etc). What's the best off-camera story you can share about Coach Hoke this first year? Something the rest of us did not get to witness...
This one, I like this one.
Who's his favorite player from 132?
Jim, between you and me, does Patrick Omameh really know where the magic happens or is he just confused?
I've always been interested in his travel schedule when he calls Michigan and Lions away games on back to back days and how challenging that might be. Who coordinates that for him?
You can book a flight and hotel in five minutes. Anymore brainbusters? Jk hahaa
That's a great topic! I heard (or maybe read?) him discuss that once, briefly, and I know he's got some stories of when he almost didn't make it to a Lions game on time.
Jim, is Doug Karsch really nine feet tall?
Are you taking Karsch or Taco Pants???
I have not seen that one. Love it.
Who's been the best kid to interview in all the time he's been around the program?
Has he been surprised by increased jersey sales in Ohio, or was that expected?
- Did he think Junior's final catch against Iowa this year was a touchdown?
- Does he like the current state of college football and where it is headed?
- Does Michigan football and the Michigan football experience need to be "branded" or "re-branded" to make it more attractive?
- How's his hot wife?
- How long will Hoke be able to keep Borges and Mattison at Michigan?
- Will broadcasting (as a business enterprise) ever allow another Ufer-style partisan to call Michigan games?
- Has the NCAA lost credibility as an effective governing body for college football?
- How many games per team in a single season are too much in college football?
- What is his favorite football memory as a player? As a broadcaster?
I would remove keeping Borges though. He is ok, but so far I am not impressed. Since I don't coach for a living I will leave it up to Brady. As if I have a choice in the matter. Lol
Shep calling the basketball games is kind of like a homeless man's Ufer.
why do you think Preachleach thinks your wife, Robbie Timmons is Hot? Do you agree?
Would you eat the moon if it was made of cheese? It's a simple question, just say yes and we'll move on.
Why do the ohio coaches lie so much and do things without any conscience? Has this helped Dantonio become an asshole too? Why does Dantonio make me feel dirty? Do you feel like showering after interviewing Dantonio or an ohio coach?
Have you ever stood in front of A mirror naked and said "damn I'm hot" ?
Jim, coming from a Spartan family, can you tell us why you chose to attend The University of Michigan instead of Michigan State?
Here's mine.....Have you ever met Lloyd Brady?
It'd be great to hear stories about players and practice. Denard, Brady, Henne, Long, Woodley, Howard, Carter, Woodson, Terrell, Manningham, Wangler, Griese, Henson, etc.
Somehow I don't think he'd say anything, but I'd like more on Carr, and also Miles.
I'd like his take on Tressel and Dantonio.
and for his best Larry Grandy story.
Bonus points if you find a way to drop a "No question, Jim," in response to anything he might say.
Rest assured that this will be done, lol.
Make that "No question about it, Jim"
Why do you always ask "Did you see that" or state "Look how..." while broadcasting on the radio? Is Beckman not paying attention?
Were either of these guys ever seriously considered had they had interest in the job? How much has Harbaugh alienated the Michigan administration with his "academics" comments? Does he think Tom Brady will ever come back and embrace the school in Desmond Howard UTL fashion?
you're Brady Hoke. How else could you conveniently interview every recruit we're after AND talk with Jim Brandstatter?
When Hoke says "Well" or Tremendous".
favorite broadcasting year
most memorable interview
best athlete to come through michigan
favorite athletete to come through michigan
predictions for next years record
favorite recruit coming in
boxers or briefs
if you had to choose between being the top broadcaster in your field, or getting mad cow disease, which one would it be?
An open eded question, and see how far he will take it than to try and get very interrogatory.
Jim, how do you view the 3 years of RR in retrospect now that we are 1 year beyond his tenure here?
"You're an idiot" or "WTF did you just say ?" (when Beckman screws up a call .... hey it happens to everyone!)
Please ask Jim, if he is writing a new volume of "Tales from Michigan Stadium". He has 2 out. I would love to see more stories from the 90's and 2000 teams. There are so many great players he can talk to.
Does he miss the old Michigan Replay, or does he like the new show he does with Hoke?
I worked as a intern on michigan replay in 1995 (Lloyd's first year) It was a tough year but great to work with Jim and Lloyd. Lloyd and his wife were so great and very nice at every taping even if Michigan lost..
Who has the better cheerleaders? UM or the Lions?
And no, I'm not asking who is better at double back flips.
If you would like a comparison as to my level of seriousness, refer to your avatar.
Dont have cheerleaders.
You or Brady? 3-point stance Jim! Let's go! Coach Hoke, your on deck!
If would really like to hear him let loose about how he feels about Dantonio....come on--let it fly.
BCS or playoffs?
What do you know about the whole RR LC thing?
Jim, waht do you think about opening up versus Alabama this year?
1. Does he think that the MSU program is a legitimate B1G contender or have they just been feasting on a weak UM and B1G the past few years?
2. Now that UM is back, will MSU stay at their current level or will they fade?
3. Will we see Denard at any position other than QB this year?
4. Who or what positions would he like to see filled with our final few 2012 openings?
5. What commit or freshman is he most excited about?
You ever been in a cockpit before?
You ever seen a grown man naked?
Jimmy, have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?