I forgot to post this in Weekday Warriors, and I think it's long enough that it works better as a message board post anyway, but reader Kent was at the Mentor-Solon game and came away with these impressions of Tom Strobel and a few other players:
Caught the first three quarters of the Mentor @ Solon game tonight. Both teams came in undefeated, but Mentor was the favorite. They did nothing to disappoint and scored on their first five possessions, and always had at least a two score lead.
· Strobel’s height and weight are the real deal, probably more 6’5” than 6’6” though. He’s got a big solid frame and can easily pack on more weight in college.
· I had him in on 4 tackles, 1 sack, another huge qb hit that caused a fumble. He may have recovered a fumble, but honestly couldn’t tell after they unpiled everyone. Everyone seemed to congratulate him, but that may have been just because he’s Tom Strobel.
· Solon ran a spread and largely ran away from Strobel’s side or threw quick passes
· At times he stood up a little to straight out of his stance, but that’s a criticism of every stud high school DL. When he did stay low and fire off, he just ran kids over or threw blockers off him like rag dolls. Which he should of, Solon’s tackled were probably in the 6’ 200lb range.
· He was also part of the FG block team that caved in the line and blocked an XP.
· Had a real good play holding the edge on a sweep his way, he would have made the play but got held pretty badly (which it was called)
· Other items of note, Mentor’s QB, Mitch Trubisky, was pretty impressive. He moved around well in the pocket, had good presence, solid arm, and accuracy. Overall pretty impressive. He’s a junior. He is listed in Rivals DB at 6’ 3”, 195. I think he’s definitely D1, but can’t say much more than that with any kind of confidence.
· Mentor has a sophomore WR, Brandon Fritts, he’s every bit of the listed 6’4”, maybe not all of 180. He is smooth, pretty fast, showed good hands (caught one off of shoe strings), and was targeted a bunch in the passing game.
· Mentor’s kicker can kick. He hit a 50 yarder, off a block, but still impressive. All his XP’s were flush as well. Not great at kickoffs though. Tomislav Derezic, he’s a senior. 6’ 230
Many thanks to Kent for the update. If anyone is inclined to go to any games involving Michigan commits and is willing to submit a report, feel free to shoot me an email. I will bribe you with MGoPoints, especially if you're able to come up with some film (though that is going above and beyond, obviously).