As football season wraps up (I know, sadface), I'll be focusing a lot more on basketball, and Brian put forth the idea of coming up with a basketball version of UFR. I have a general idea of what I want it to include, which I'll list below:
- Rating shot quality: Contested jumper, wide open jumper, uncontested fast break layup/dunk, etc.
- Assigning points for good (and bad) plays off the ball, like picks that lead to layups, bad fouls away from the play, etc.
- Forced turnovers vs. unforced turnovers
- Defensive culpability—who, if anyone, was at fault for a given opponent basket
- Perhaps a rebound difficulty chart, resembling what Brian does with catches for Michigan receivers
I probably wouldn't post after every game, since that would be somewhat insane, and would also make it difficult for me to do anything else on the site, but I'm looking to put a hoops UFR through a test run during the Maui Invitational—since I'd still have FFFF to post on Wednesday, it might not go up until later in the week, but I want to start ironing out the kinks before Big Ten play begins.
Anyways, I would love to hear suggestions for what should go into these posts,
and also any ideas for a name for this feature ('Basketball UFR' just feels like a copout) [never mind—UFR uber alles]. This would be focused on what doesn't show up in a box score or on KenPom, and yes, I will be going through play by play—this is where I thank the Big Ten for playing at a snail's pace.
So yeah, the floor is open for suggestions. I'd love to hear what you all think. Thanks in advance.