i refuse to even consider this a possibility
To the east side?
Seriously, good showing by the team. They'll probably be in the top 20 heading into East Lansing and then Iowa. Emerge from that run 1-1 or even 2-0, and I'll start looking into hotel rooms in Florida and San Antonio.
#23 in AP
Wow, GT fell all the way out from 13. They deserve it, in my e-pinion, but that was a lot further than I expected.
That surprised me, too. GT didn't even have Dwyer for most the game, it seems unfair to push them that far down when the pollsters were much kinder to OU when the same situation occurred there.
The subtlety I missed: OSU dropped 2 spots despite shutting out the previous top offense in the country. The BBC makes an interesting case, maybe not a great one.
Eh, I'd be less concerned if I were the Bucks. Two spots isn't much to sweat, they'll move up in due time if they keep winning, and if they end up 10-2 or 9-3 they'll be somewhere ranging from 7-15, which seems about right given what we've seen of them so far.
That must be a "correction" from last week following USC's loss (which arguably makes OSU's performance against them look less impressive).
They had 3 games in 12 days....dont think that would warrant dropping from out from 13th.
Miami had 10 days to get ready for Geogoa Tech.
The coaches poll has BYU at 20 and florida state at 25. FSU murdered BYU in their own stadium. That is just ridiculous. I sincerely hope the blog poll does not replicate this.
One was ranked 7 in the country with a win over a team most regard as top three with a healthy QB, while the other was unranked with a loss to a Miami team who could have sucked for all we knew.
It was 54 to 28. In friggin' Provo, man. Thats not a win. Its domination.
FSU also nearly lost to Jacksonville State the week before. FSU seems to be a team that has severe ups and downs. The domination you describe happens to be one of the ups. That doesn't mean that they are a better team than the team they just beat.
For example, say you have two lottery tickets.
Ticket A provides a 10% chance of $1000, a 30% chance of $100, and a 60% chance of $0.
Ticket B provides a 25% chance of $150 dollars, a 50% chance of $70, and a 25% chance of $10.
Ticket B is the more valuable ticket overall, even though on any given day Ticket A could happen to win the $1000 on the same day that Ticket B wins $10.
actually.. ticket A is more valuable..
I'll take Ticket A please..
Ah, you think like a poker player. You're absolutely right in mutliple iteration games (which is what football is, so admittedly I just screwed up in making up the numbers off the top of my head), but interestingly there is an increasingly-accepted approach to single-iteration games that says Ticket B is still more valuable. Without getting into the nitty-gritty, the basic point is that in 67.5% of possible outcomes you are better off with ticket B, so if you only have one ticket, that's the one you want.
Just like you shouldn't pay $500,000 for an 11% chance at $5,000,000 because (even though the value is right), you'll probably lose and you can't afford to play enough times to make the risk of loss worthwhile (you probably need that $500K for like, you know, food).
Anyway, I just thought that was interesting, given your response. Probably wasn't very interesting actually.
One was ranked 7 in the country with a win over a team most regard as top three with a healthy QB
Given that in BYU's win over Oklahoma, Bradford was not healthy for most of the game, I'm not sure why it's relevant that "most regard" Oklahoma as top-3 when he is. And given its performance against Georgia Tech, I think we all know at this point that Miami does not in fact, suck.
WTF coaches poll in others receiving votes: Wisconsin 2, Minnesota 1
To boot, the AP poll has 1 vote for South Florida. No comprende.
Colorado State shows up in both polls, which is somewhat reasonable having beaten Nevada and winning at Colorado (no matter how bad they may be). The one win in the middle was a desperation win over FCS Webber State.
FWIW, I'd vote for Washington, too. They're a bowl team this year.
I think they are, too. I'm not sure they go in above 6-6, but I think 6 wins are definitely a good possibility for them.
Ohio State fell two spots in the AP poll after beating up on Toledo. Nice.
How in the HELL is UGA 17?