Arrived yesterday in staggered shifts from different locations - everyone super excited to be here. Couple of notes:
1) DFW airport was designed by drunk Martians, not engineers. Very convoluted and difficult to maneuver around in the complex particularly if you have folks flying in on different airlines. Tiny little alleyways and if you aren't paying attention and miss your cutoff you are screwed. The rental car complex is a 15 minute bus ride significantly off the property and you think you're being taken to Siberia by the time you get there. And when you drive back in, you pay a toll.
2) Everyone super friendly and welcoming. Lots of "Michigan is arriving", "Michigan's in the house" comments as we are at bag claim and moving around. One thing we didn't take into account is that all the other ESS EEE SEE teams are on our side and pulling for us to knock off Bama. Lots of hand shakes and high fives form LSU fans, Aggie fans, Arkansas fans telling us they are Michigan fans on Saturday.
3) At Albertson's last night to stock up, there is a very attractive Texas Big Hair housewife with a cart full of enough bottled water to last till Christmas in front of us at checkout. As she is paying, she turns to us and looks us up and down and smiles sweetly and says "Roll Tide". We had a blast telling her she would be learning all about Hail To The Victors this weekend, Bama fans seem nice and friendly and not malicious just supportive and fun folks.
4) Lots of freeway construction in this town. And they don't mark things well so if you encounter any, the driver needs to pay close attention - miss one cutoff and you're lost. We are using Texas 114 going west from DFW and it's a real challenge to stay on the right highway!
5) Opted to stay in the Champions Circle complex in Ft Worth. Nice Marriott, nice Greg Norman golf course, and right across the street from Texas Motor Speedway where we have a tour and test drive scheduled tomorrow morning. Just Chili's for dinner last night watching the Cowboys game but headed to downtown Ft Worth for real Texas food with all the good rec's in hand from the folks who took the time to post earlier about local hotspots for us - thanks to all of you for making this trip even more fun.
It's 100 degrees +, pack your sunscreen and GO BLUE!