Michigan grad. Current Duke student. I hope we win tomorrow, and get #1. That said, after being at a basketball school for 4 years I would like to share some wisdom. To those of you who know basketball, none of this will matter. But to those of you who are michigan football fans (like myself) and recently discovered (or rediscovered) michigan basketball, a few pieces of advice.
1) A michigan #1 seed does not matter. Sure, it may be a slightly easier path to the final four, but in reality, not much.
2) A michigan #1 midseason rankings really does not matter. Seriously. This is not college football where only the 1 gets to play the 2. It is also not college football in that whoever loses that game gets screamed about by pundits and the public for being so bad. Be in the top 68, or the top 8 to get a decent arbitrary seed, and we are fine.
3) We will lose a conference road game. Or two. It happens to every school. Even if it would ultimately affect our seed, it really wouldn't matter. Again, this isn't football. You can lose and be very successful, and most champions do.
4) Those that say a conference championship matter haven't won it all recently.
5) Those that say a conference tournament championship matter, haven't won recently. Although sadly based on TV, we may hold this over the former.
6) It doesn't matter if Michigan is the best team in the nation right now (which they may or may not be). All that matters is March.
In conclusion, Go Blue, but honestly, lets take this one game at a time.
EDIT: the is a shitty, obvious, yet condescending post, even though it has errors. However to those of you who need more reason to neg this thread, I'd like to share my personal recollection of coahc K's bagel order, as I stood behind him on one early moring:
-he ordered a dozen.
- 4 poppy seed, 4 seasame, and 4 cinamon raisin. most boring bagels you can order.
- the server had to tell him he got a baker's dozen.
- he apparantly goes there often.