Yeah, mostly the too easy to bring down part. He's not all that much smaller than Mike Hart, although maybe enough to make a difference. But Hart was tough to bring down despite his size, and always managed to fall forward. VSmith seems to get tossed like a rag doll every time he's tackled.
TVH Weekly: Weekend Visitors, Upcoming Decisions, and More
This Weekly Update is going to be a little tough because so much can change within a matter of days. Here's what's potentially happening in the near future. With Demetrius Hart decommitting to Alabama that leaves Michigan with roughly seven spots to fill.
January 7th Visitors
As of right now most, if not all, of the visitors plan on making it in this weekend. I have received two texts from prospects asking if they should reschedule their visit, though. I'm going to make sure that everyone understands that anything can change at any time. That even goes for the comment I made the other day about current commitments sticking with Michigan. Tony Posada and Dallas Crawford both said they will "most likely" stick with Michigan. That most likely is their way out, so it's not 100%. Dallas is being actively recruited, so that's something to watch. [Ed. He did say he was "solid" on Facebook today, FWIW.]
Anyhow, here's the list of recruits expected to be in this weekend.
- S Sheldon Royster - Royster will be a tough pull for Michigan. Considering Michigan, Rutgers, South Carolina, Miami, and North Carolina.
- ATH Raymon Taylor - Decommitted from Indiana because of a coaching change. He loves Michigan, but ya know, they might have a coaching change.
- WR Devin Lucien - Devin was just offered by Miami today. He really likes Michigan though. He'll be making his announcement on January 30th at his school. He could be making his final decision soon though. Decision is different than announcement. He's said Michigan's standing does not depend on their coach.
- DT Darian Cooper - I spoke with Darian last night, and he said "he thinks" he's still coming this weekend. We'll see if that changes.
- WR Shane Wynn - Glenville product, potentially coming this weekend.
- QB Cardale Jones - Same situation as Wynn. The visit might not happen.
- TE Frank Clark - Same as the two above.
- DE Deion Barnes - This visit looks like it's leaning towards not happening, but I haven't confirmed it yet. I'll still include him here, just not expecting him to be there.
- TE Tanner McEvoy
Army Game Decisions
There are 13 total prospects making their decision public at the Army All American Game on Saturday January 8th. The two that apply to Michigan are LB Kris Frost, and DB Wayne Lyons.
Kris has been consistent with his public stance, and who he names in his top group. I have been in very close contact with Kris the entire time, and it's my understanding that he had his final decision made up around 3 weeks or a month ago. Frost is an early enrollee, and has told me he's comfortable with his decision.
Wayne has kept a lot of his recruitment close to the vest, but the rumor is that it may be between Michigan and Stanford, with potentially Nebraska in there as well. This provides an interesting scenario with Michigan and Stanford's current situation. I don't think anyone can predict the outcome of this one, so we'll have to wait and see what hat Wayne picks up on Saturday.
6'5", 330 lbs.
I put this on the board a few days ago, but Chris Bryant has decided to hold a press conference to announce his decision on January 21st.
Chris has always been very high on Michigan, and has been out to Ann Arbor a few times. The interesting scenario here is that Bryant is likely down to Michigan, Arizona, and Ohio State (if they offer). Stanford was also a school that Chris was very interested in, and he's aware of the potential coaching changes that could take place at Michigan. All of this could obviously change from now until January 21st, but I think Michigan is in strong position right now.
- The silent commits that I've alluded to are still intact. I know of two for now, and potentially a third soon. Some of them could decide to go elsewhere. They're still in place for now.
- If Michigan makes a coaching change, and makes it fast, there could be opportunity for that coach to bring in some of their recruits. Specifically Jim Harbaugh with his current commitments. I've spoken to a few Stanford commitments that are going to wait to see what happens, and make a decision from there. I've spoken to four, and only one has said he will stay with Stanford 100%.
- Early enrollee Greg Brown is in Ann Arbor, and ready to go.
- Again, all of this information could easily change in the next few days, so don't take it as 100%.
I'd say I can at least nail 2/3 on the head based on Tom's context clues, but I like the premise of leaving it as a good surprise. I wish I could just hibernate til NSD.
All three are highly regarded. I would be happy with any of them.
So you're saying we're getting Clowney, Deanthony Thomas, and Tim Jernigan? Sweeeeeeet
Greg Brown's in Ann Arbor already. Kris Frost has the AA game, but wouldn't he have already enrolled in classes if he is coming to Michigan?
He'd be enrolled, I assume. He would just miss the first week of classes, though. That's how I'd assume it works at least.
Classes start on Wednesday, but I supposed you can technically enroll anytime before the drop add deadline. I'm not quite sure how it works. Freshmen, look out for Kris Frost in your intro classes. That would be a little telling.
In re: Kris Frost, don't early enrollees need to be enrolled by now?
They just have to be enrolled by the drop/add deadline, which is in a few weeks.
I'm gonna buy an extra pack of Rolaids. This week will be like riding a roller coaster. I think this time I'll just close my eyes and hold onto the handlebars.
I guess we don't have a very good chance at Sheldon. Some of my friends have told me they doubt he would go to Michigan/ But nice list especially defensively. Hopefully we get some of these guys for a solid class.
Sheldon is going to either Rutgers or South Carolina from what I'm hearing.
I've heard Rutgers, too, which would piss me off because that would mean we'd lose out to Rutgers on 2 good safety prospects in 2 years (Rashad Knight being the other one).
Yeah I would put Rutgers ahead especially with South Carolina having no more room at the moment. But he was liking them for a while so I put them at 2. There really hasn't been much talk of UM or UNC.
Twenty-five year UM fan...Followed the blog for a while never said or posted anything because pretty much everyone else said what i was thinking and commenting on it would have been futile. However, does anyone(besides Tom because hes busy) know or has anyone heard anything about Timmy Jernigan. I know we are in his top five but last I heard (rumor) he was an LSU lock...
It's highly unlikely that Jernigan comes to Michigan, from what I have gathered from Tim and Tom. There is always a possibility, but doubtful.
thanks for the reply Victors Valiant I am not really up to speed on whos comments or threads to pay attention to when it comes to recruiting with the exception of TomVH.
No problem. Obviously TomVH is a great person to look at when it comes to recruiting. But Tim is a great one also, he usually does the weekly recruiting updates and Friday night updates. DG Destroys (sp?) is another good guy to look out for because he usually has good information also.
I haven't followed recruiting nearly as much in the past as I have now. I joined and started following MGoBlog in August so I am fairly new to all of this information and talk about Michigan football. Although, I have been a Michigan fan since birth.
If David Brandon knows what he is doing, and I think he does, he will have a new coach by Thursday so the recruits will visit, and commit to Harbaugh. Also, the media will be buzzing all weekend and we'd probably get With some recruits to commit at the Army All American game. I would be confident with this guy as a coach to play for. If this is how it goes down, well fucking played Mr. Brandon. Or he could be on a boat all week. =)
Mgoblog is the reason I do not subscribe to recruting sites. Thank you guys, you do a great job.
Since Greg Brown is an early enrollee does his scholarship count against the 2010 class or the 2011 class?