Less mlive. I dont have enough points to negbomb dude and someone else. Even if that was sarcasm, it's not even funny.
TVH Weekly: Kickers, Decommits, New Offers
A lot has changed since last week, some for good some for bad. I will try to keep you up to date the best I can, and here's a look at what we know so far. Remember if you ever have any recruiting tips or questions you can always email me at [email protected]. You can also follow me on Twitter to get more recruiting updates as they come through.
We might as well start with the ugly bits and talk about the recent decommitments. K Matt Goudis recently took a visit to Miami and decided to commit to the Hurricanes. Al Golden has some weird obsession with Michigan recruits. He's pursuing Goudis, Dallas Crawford, Kellen Jones, and Kris Frost.
DB Dallas Crawford officially decommitted from Michigan, and it's looking like it's over. Who Brady Hoke hires as his defensive coordinator could still make an impact on Crawford. We'll have to wait to see who the new DC is to know, but it's looking very grim.
OL Jake Fisher decommitted yesterday, and has decided to open everything up after visiting Michigan State this past weekend. He's saying everyone is even and could end up taking visits to Oregon, Florida, and Notre Dame. It's not looking good for Michigan to get him back.
Those three are officially decommited and a few more are on the fence. OL Tony Posada took a visit to Mississippi State this past weekend, and there's a rumor that he loved it. Posada is supposed to visit Michigan this coming weekend. We'll see how Tony feels after that. DB Blake Countess also took a visit to Penn State, but has been vocal about his love for Michigan so there may not be much to worry about there. LB Kellen Jones recently took a visit to Colorado and may end up taking a visit to Miami as well. We'll see if that materializes.
Now that Matt Goudis has decommitted, Michigan would still like to land a kicker in this class.
There were rumors of former high school kicker Derrick Mitchell potentially walking on at Michigan. I spoke with his father to see what the situation was, and he had this to say.
(Former Michigan kicker) Mike Gillette knew about Derrick and connected him with Coach Rodriguez. They said they needed a kicker and had a spot for him if he wanted it. The problem is that Derrick is in the minor leagues right now with the Phillies. He had a pretty good season last year, so I don't know if he wants to give that up just to be a kicker.
The strange part is that the Phillies would pay for part of Mitchell's tuition if he were to come to Michigan. He's getting paid 5th round money right now and is moving up to AA ball so it's not likely he'll come to Michigan this year.
6'2", 210 lbs.
San Diego, California
Wile received an offer from Michigan, which makes sense because he also had an offer from San Diego State. Wile was an Army All American, and would help fill the void Goudis' decommitment left.
Connor Loftus could still an option since he already had a Michigan offer, but the recent offer to Wile probably means the new coaches want him instead. Michigan will have to compete with Air Force and Nebraska. Wile will be in Ann Arbor this weekend.
New Offers and New Contact
The new Michigan coaches have started to reach out to recruits and extend new offers as well. Besides WIle here's a look at some new recruits that Michigan is now targeting. There will be plenty more of these as the coaching staff fills out and we get closer to signing day.
- DT Travarris Saulsberry (6'4", 252 lbs, Florida) - He's reporting he has an offer, but it's an odd offer because Saulsberry is committed to Tennessee, and has been since August. He told me he's 100% committed to the Vols and isn't considering Michigan.
- DE Jordan Williams (6'4", 240 lbs, Florida) - Williams is a teammate of Saulsberry and also committed to Tennessee. He also told me he's 100% with the Vols.
- DB Stefan McClure (5'11", 170 lbs, 4 Star, California) - McClure was just offered and plans on visiting Michigan this weekend. I spoke with McClure recently and I got the feel that he was genuinely open in his recruitment. If Michigan can impress him they'll have a shot.
- OL Pat Flavin (6'7", 260 lbs, 3 Star, Illinois) - Flavin has not been offered yet, but he did receive a call on Sunday from Michigan's OL coach Darrell Funk. He missed the call initially but called Coach Funk back and was told the situation is fluid right now. No offer was extended, but Funk wanted an update on where he was at. Probably means the coaches are waiting to see who decommits, and stays committed.
January 21st Visits
This weekend will be the first visit weekend hosted by Brady Hoke and company. Here's a list of visitors so far. This list will continue to change:
- TE/LB Frank Clark (6'2", 210 lbs, 3 Star, Ohio) The Glenville prospect has showed genuine interest in Michigan, and there is an even greater need for his services with the switch in offensive philosophy.
- ATH Raymon Taylor (5'10", 165 lbs, 4 Star, Michigan) The former Indiana commit has always been a fan of Michigan. He does like the new Indiana staff, so we'll see what happens.
- DB Stefan McClure (5'11", 170 lbs, 4 Star, California). As mentioned.
- OL Tony Posada (6'6", 315 lbs, 3 Star, Florida) Fresh off a visit to Mississippi State, we'll see if he makes the trip.
- K Matt Wile (6'2", 210 lbs, 2 Star, California) Just offered two days ago, will be visiting Ann Arbor.
- WR Hakeem Flowers had a phone call scheduled with the new Michigan coaches on Sunday. He is announcing on the 23rd and it's down to Oregon, Michigan, and LSU. Michigan is still in great position with Flowers.
- WR Devin Lucien is announcing on the 30th. Brady Hoke hasn't contacted him yet, so the interest is starting to fall.
- WR/LB Kris Frost is still waiting to hear back from Auburn on whether his commitment will be honored. He's not graduating early anymore, so he might end up taking more visits. Miami is coming after him, but if the Michigan coaches get in contact with him and push they will still have a good chance.
- OL Chris Bryant took an official visit to Pitt, where former Michigan coaches Calvin Magee, Tony Gibson, and Tony Dews are now coaching. He swung by Michigan on the way home to meet with Brady Hoke. The meeting lasted long enough to require Bryant and his dad to have to get a hotel for the night. I'll try to catch up with Bryant on Monday to talk about the visit.
Lighten. The. Hell. Up.
wasnt he being recruited by SDSU?
Devin Lucien isn't really that high on Michigan now.
He's deciding between Michigan and Miami for his final visit, and he's pretty sure it's going to be Miami; he was upset that Chris Singletary was the only one to get in contact; not Brady Hoke.
Devin is high on Michigan, just not the coaching situation. If Hoke were to call him and clear things up he would visit.
Before all this happened Devin had Michigan in the #1 spot.
So Michigan might be able to pull in a recruit in spite of their head coach? I don't like where this is going...it's like the anti snake oil. What happens next year when we don't have all these 3* SDSU recruits to poach?
Or maybe given more than 5 days.... lets say an entire recruiting cycle at Mich he could bring in the 4 and 5 star guys like he used to when he got tom brady and charles woodson to sign on back in the 90's. Unlike all the 3* guys we are used to for the past 3 years.
were the last two recruiting classes under RR ranked high because of quantity or quality?
Hoke doesn't have LC to close for him anymore.
Sure, we had all 4 and 5 stars back in the good 'ole days ...
I know he loved his recent visit to UCLA, and he's close with Brett Hundley, so I'd guess them, your thoughts?
If Hoke's too busy to call, why can't Freddie J give him a ring to set up a visit so Devin could talk with Hoke in person?
Tom, I am curious as to this this coaching staff has not contacted Devin yet? Is it becuase they feel better about Flowers? Also, what do you think about Floyd Raven? And are our chances dwindiling that much with Countess?
Good job, Hoke, Canceling all those official visits this weekend is really paying off! Now if we're sad about all the lined-up players leaving we can console ourselves by counting all the players who were keen on us before you turned them away! just a really solid, stand up decision. I guess we can all root for Pitt, since their program is still open for business.
something is amiss here.
Am I to infer he's been banhammered 12 times already?
Are you looking to get the banhammer again? or do you plan on behaving?
He'll have at least one good meltdown before signing day. Book it.
But I'm not mad, because it ussually makes for good entertainment.
He isn't the only one.
Yeah buddy, I'm not a mod.
"if the Michigan coaches get in contact with him and push they will still have a good chance."
What the hell? I would think he would have been one of the first recruits contacted, especially over a OL, and some WRs. I'm not saying I know better than the coaches, but what the hell?
FWIW, Hoke has been in contact with Frost, trying to set up an unofficial before signing day
Just out of curiosity, who are you? Just wondering if i should start looking for your posts like I tend to do with Tom, Magnus, DG, Brian, and a few others
a humble blogger with random recruiting insights here and there, links below.
I like Your site/blog I'll deffinetly be visiting it from time to time to get away from all the whiners and trolls on this site. Keep it up
He has a pretty good site and it is updated daily. I have been using it for a few weeks now.
I like it because there are no post on Tobasco sause, but he could always throw in a post about how sweet baby rays is no doubt the best bbq sause out there (Fact not opinion)
Weird that they're not going after Lucien. It's not like Michigan is lacking room for another WR.
Thanks for the update, Tom.
Any word on those kids Tim mentioned, Christian Heyward and Mustafa Jalil?
And the ominous time for Fisher - is that based on conversations with him? The kid was in AA for a ton of games
I know we need defense, but kind of interesting that a committed DT and DE got offers while some guys haven't talked to coach Hoke yet.
That Lucien bit is fairly alarming. I'm all for Hoke, i really am, but I don't understand him. So far he's contacted two D-linemen who are solidly behind another program and have no interest in us, and never did, while another quality "sure-thing" is slipping through the cracks.
Just so you know, Tom's list is not the all inclusive list of who Hoke has been in contact with. It is the list of those who Tom has talked to or heard from.
Yes, that's important to remember.
Thanks Tom (long time reader first time thanker) you singled handedly broke my F5 button with all you insight.
Tom came to your home and broke a key on your computer? I'd better lock my door...
right, but it sounds like Lucien said he hasn't been contacted and the 2 UT guys said they have been.
True, but unless you were in Hoke's office today, you don't know whether they tried to contact him or not today. They may have called when his phone was busy, may have called while Lucien was out, you just don't know and it's not worth freaking out over.
In this day of cell phones can you really ever "be out" or get a busy tone.
This is more of frustration that I feel cell phones allow people to stalk from afar
I have absolutely no idea which phone number coaches call when they try to reach a recruit. You'd think they'd call a home line or the parents, but I really don't have a clue. I think they'd call the line that you'd assume was more reliable, assuming they get a limited amount of phone calls and I believe leaving a message counts as the phone call for the week. I can also see how a coach may want to avoid leaving a message on Sunday and risk not being able to use the phone call on a recruit for that entire week.
My comment is more of a personal beef I have against those Texts I get seemingly 10 times a day of "where are you" "why arent' you answering" "Are you ignoring my calls"
I understand that completely. I keep telling myself that I'll learn to stop giving my phone number to psychopaths, maybe someday.
One can always dream, I swear they need to be labaled for everyone's health.
I'd like to implore everyone to chill out a little bit in regards to the recruiting situation. I know we are all on high alert because the class is looking a little thin right now, but there are still a few weeks to go and as a few people have already said, we are not in the office with the coaches making the phone calls.
I think it would be to all of our advantage to give the staff another week to get things situated. We should hear an announcement on DC soon (that is just a guess, I do not have inside information) and once all of that is squared away we should start to see some progress.
On a side note, thanks Tom for the regular updates. Keep 'em coming!
Most recruits are not dyed in the maize and blue homers, They don't care about Michigan Men. They are looking for someone who is a proven winner (even if they have hit a bad patch) who can prepare them for the pros.
From that prospective Rich Rod had a winning track record. Brady Hoke does not. We can take a chance and change if it doesn't work out. For many of these recruits this might be their only chance for a decent life. They want as close to a sure thing as they can get.
Hoke gets the recruiting mojo at this level only if he wins.