Great stuff! Thanks, Tom!
TVH Weekly: Deion Barnes, Damon Knox, UConn Visitors
This weekly update will have a few brief notes about a couple prospects, and mainly be about some of the visitors I've confirmed for the U Conn game. This is an initial list that will most definitely grow as the first game gets closer, and as I talk to more people.
6'5", 225 lbs.
Deion quiet with his recruitment, but has always listed Michigan in his list of schools he has interest in. He recently told me that his list is now down to five:
Michigan, Pitt, Penn State, Georgia, and South Carolina are my top five for now. I might wait until signing day to decide, or I might announce at one of the All Star games I was nominated for.
The main all star game he's talking about being nominated for is the Army game, which is a nice honor. He also told me the Michigan coaches want him to wait until the end of the season to take his official visit so they can make sure he's their main focus. Interesting strategy which could mean a few things. Either they really want to give him enough attention, or they don't want him to try to commit with Anthony Zettel still on the board and two defensive ends already committed. I'm not sure which is the case.
6'5", 265 lbs.
Knox is an instate kid that has a couple MAC offers under his belt. Grades and qualifying test scores have been the issue with Knox, but he's working towards rectifying that.
I retook the ACT, I got a lower score but a better score on the math part. I have all core classes my first trimester, and if I ace those classes then I'll be qualified.
So there's that. He told me he really likes Rich Rodriguez, and if he gets qualified Michigan has a good shot. His top three is Michigan, Michigan State, and Illinois. His fate is in his hands.
I'll post these here for now. Since this is on the front page I'll create a diary later with more updates so you can follow along.
- Avery Walls - Safety out of Georgia has been to Michigan twice, and rumors are that Michigan leads.
- Daren Kitchen - Defensive back from Louisiana told me he 100% will be there for the U Conn game, and also said his written offer from Michigan is in the mail. I've heard that before, and don't really have any way of verifying, so we'll see. We will all find out together soon, I promise you that.
- Demetrius Hart – Obviously. He's bringing some friends:
- Nick Patti - 2012 QB, teammate of Demetrius Hart will be up with his Dad, and potentially with his trainer Tom Shaw. Shaw trains a ton of football players in Florida, including Florida State commit Karlos Williams. Nick told me that Shaw will play a big role in his decision, and he considers Tom to be an uncle. Getting him on campus could be a good thing for a few reasons.
- Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix(?) - He's not 100% coming yet. They're still figuring that out. Patti and Hart don't think Clinton-Dix would consider decommitting from Alabama, but a visit can't hurt.
- Jake Fisher - Michigan commit will be there.
- Delonte Hollowell - Michigan commit.
- Chris Bryant - The Illinois offensive lineman is a maybe, depending on his game schedule. He'd like to be there, but his team has a game in East St. Louis, so he doesn't think he'll be able to make it. I'm in contact with Chris quite a bit, and he has said he'll most likely wait a few games into the season to make his decision, but may get it over with before the season. If that happens Michigan is in good position. As per usual, they just need to win.
- Hunter and Cam Stanley - 2012 offensive linemen from Toledo, Ohio. They're twins! The 6-foot-4, 260-pound linemen are both very high on Michigan. They camped at Michigan's four-day camp, and jointly took home the offensive line MVP award (they do everything together!). Hunter actually ran his best 40 time at Michigan's camp with a 4.75. Michigan is in their top three along with Notre Dame and Northwestern. They both want to make their decision relatively early, and as you can tell by their list they think they fit best in a spread offense.
- Chris and Demitrious Davis – More twins! Seriously: both 2012 prospects, Chris (5'9", 185 lbs.) is a WR/DB and his brother Demitrious (5'10", 183 lbs.) is a QB/DB. I had a great conversation with Chris, and he wanted me to make sure I told the Michigan fans this next part. "My Dad loves Michigan. Our family hates Ohio State." Chris said his dad was standing next to him grinning ear to ear because he's such a Michigan fan. He also said his dad has always told him and his brother that they should go to Michigan. The twins(!) have an early top five of Michigan, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Tennessee, and Miami. Michigan has a good chance here. Chris says his brother is quicker, but he's faster. You can watch for yourself if you'd like. Their film is actually pretty impressive sophomore film. Chris Davis and Demitrious Davis.
- .....AND TWINS!! (I had to)
- Kaleb Ringer - 2012 linebacker from Clayton, Ohio. His uncle is Javon Ringer, former MSU star running back. He told me his family affiliations won't play into anything, and he's actually a Michigan fan (FWIW). He currently holds verbal offers from Cincinnati and Iowa, which is a good sign of his talent level. He and his teammate Jeremy Campbell (DL) will be there. Campbell is listed at 5'11-6'0, weighing in at around 250-pounds. Ringer says that Campbell can squat 750 pounds, which seems like a lot to me. [Ed: me too.]
- Royce Jenkins-Stone - 2012 Cass Tech linebacker will be there. He loves Michigan.
- Chase Deback - 2012 instate offensive lineman from Charlotte, Michigan. Says he's a fan of Michigan State, but will put his fandom to the side for his recruitment. He wants to go wherever he feels is the best place for him. Being a fan of MSU growing up won't play into it. It's often hard for 16-17 year olds to distinguish the difference, though.
- Nathan Ricketts - 2012 instate linebacker. Shameless plug here. Ricketts is a 6-foot-2 linebacker with some good speed from Holland, Michigan.
The Stanley twins come from an outstanding family. They have excellent grades. The Coach Frey family, religious group on the OL helps. (The twin's father is a ND fan, however.)
How awesome would it be to have the Davis twins as the starting corners one day?
turn into the Pouncey twins.
and how bout having the stanley twins at the tackle spots
and maybe Terrence Talbott can grow 4 inches and gain 75 pounds and become as big as Teryy Talbott, then we can have them both play DT.
Oh wait, we run a 3-3-5. We only need one of them.
Ok I got it, what if Terry Talbott lost 75 pounds and shrunk 4 inches and they both played corner.
I give up
The Talbott brothers were born 9 mos apart
Before anybody asks about Kaleb Ringer - yes, they're related.
Ahh, yes thank you. I couldn't remember what I forgot to add in there. I edited the post to reflect our conversation about that.
I... love... Tom Vanharren and his recruiting updatesss,
Walls, D Hart and recruits making their own fate
A Clinton-Dix decommit and recruits from in-state
Possibly two sets of twins going to Michigan in the class of 2012, I can see it now...
Michigan- Where "twins" happens
All your twins are belong to us.
Due to restocking our roster of scholarship players, if the twins are identical, can we use one scholarship on both since they originated from the same zygote?
RR and Co.
Edit: Double post
Don't forget the confusingly named Talbott brothers.
Any news about MI LB James Ross? He did well at OSU's summer camp. Is he visiting Michigan? We could really use a highly rated MLB.
He spent most of the summer touring campuses and working on his weaknesses, this is a guy who REALLY wants to improve and has a good head on his shoulders. He's been building relationships with each college's staff, and he really likes Michigan. He just wants to see them win. From what I've heard, there are a couple games that are possibilities with Royce Jenkins and Terry Richardson, but nothing definite yet.
It sounds like it will be great to get Tom Shaw around the program, not just for Nick Patti but for influence with many FL recruits. From what I've seen, Mike Barwis is a big name in his field (pro players coming to train with him, etc.), and it can't hurt to have someone like Shaw more familiar and comfortable with Barwis' program.
Great info as always!
I was thinking the same thing as I read the post. It's amazing how many "pipelines" are created by guys like Shaw. The way we're going after Florida kids in recent years makes staying in his good graces that much more important.
are correct (6'5" 225 lbs) then he is almost exactly the same size as Craig Roh was in HS. I would think there is a decent chance he might end up playing the same position as Roh at UM (SAM) and not really be in competition for a spot with Zettel (a true DL).
Michigan is just recruiting him as a strongside DE
You are correct. I asked the same question and Magnus has said that he is a DE.
Any news on Matt Godin/Danny O'Brien visiting for the UConn game? I know they want to visit Michigan several times this year together, and I heard the UConn game being thrown around as a possibility.
We need to recruit as many DBs as we can get our hands on. The list compiled for the UConn game visitors is impressive from that aspect. I hope lots of them materialize, Michigan has to also recruit LBs, that defense needs to start having depth, Offense wins games, Defense wins championships!!
I don't think we need as many DBs as you think. We have about 16 or 17 safeties. We could use maybe one or two more cornerbacks, but we still have needs at OL, DL, LB, WR, TE, and RB.
Hey, Tom - where are the Davis twins from?
It would be great to get both sets of twins on campus at the same time for a game. I remember reading a while ago in some article agout how twins appreciate hanging out with other twins because they can all relate to what its like to be a twin. SYNERGY, baby, SYNERGY!!!
The mail in Houma, LA, must be traditionally slow. Daren Kitchen has been saying his offer is "in the mail" for about a month.
That being said, if our cornerbacks keep dropping like flies, I wouldn't be surprised for it to actually arrive at some point...
Don't knock Houma, I was born there, but yeah, time does move slowly down there.
Jarred, I grew up in Houma. ST class of '84. How about you? Everything is much slower down there.
My family moved to Memphis before I turned 2, but I still have a lot of extended family down there. In fact, I'll be down there for a wedding Labor Day weekend.
Good stuff Tom. After a blowout against UConn, we will have recruits jumping at UM to play for the Wolverines. Walls would be a nice pickup and Jenkins-Stone would be good too for next year, although I don't know much about him. Keep up the good work!
James Ross!! We can't let this kid get away. Can't let sparty get the top player in the state again. Especially a defense player. Can you imagine Gholston, Thomas, and Ross? Yikes!
If we don't get Ross, I'd be surprised if he ended up in East Lansing. More likely, Penn State or OSU.
The MSU game this year is going to be extremely importat on many different levels. While that trio is possibly scary, Ghoston will be NFL bound after his Junior season (prossibly?).
trying to see the glass half full here, even in the face of worst case senario. by the time they reach there prime, we will be on a full 100% experienced RR Dilithium led team, winning the 2011 Big Ten (12?) title, and then MSU is good, and by us beating them it gives us strength of schedule points and helps work towards a National title in 2012.
I'd be beyond stunned to see Kaleb Ringer at UM. Everything I've read about him indicates he'll be at Ohio State. I'd love to see him be a Wolverine, but I just can't see it.
Deion Barnes kind of looks like Braylon.
It's been stated before, but OSU has a really small class ticketed for next year, and already a commitment at linebacker. I'm not saying he won't end up there eventually, but they might hold off on Ringer for a while before they see how their situation with other guys ends up.
no, he's a dead Ringer! (sorry, couldn't help myself)
Not sure he really likes any team as a fan with these conflicting stories. This rivals article from Sept. of 2009 says he grew up loving OSU. I'm guessing his fan affiliation won't play a role in his recruitment. http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=985148
Maybe I'm just being a booger here, but I'm hoping Knox doesn't get offered/commit to Michigan. I've had just about enough borderline qualifiers to last me for a few years...
Amen to that. I wish the kid well, but we should stick to guys who will actually get admitted and stay eligible...... not to mention the APR concerns.
Todays paper said that Knox had signed with Toledo. I haven't heard anything about that.
Well, he can't "sign" until February 2011. So that paper either had the info wrong or you're mis-remembering.
I go to the same school as the Stanley twins. Both are grade A offensive linemen. However, I unfortunately cannot tell the two apart. So there's that.
of UConn would really go a long way. Here's to that! Here's to a great season! I'm totally pumped! F all the negatives! I think we surprise a lot of people!
elsewhere, but Deion Barnes is a ringer for Braylon, no? Thought I was looking at Edwards when my eye first came to that photo.
I actually went to school with Damon Knox (Muskegon High School) and he's really high on Michigan. Once his grades are straightened out I expect him to go Blue.
How good are some of these 2012 visitors...any 5 star prospects?
Muskegon at Macomb Dakota 7:00 Aug 26
Should be the game of the year in HSFB.
And, Bernard Taylor plays for Dakota. 3* Scout - Indiana
Really like how many guys are going to be there, after we win I hope to see a lot of great recruiting news the next week.