Great to hear. What's the latest on Rawls and his academic status?
TomVH: Recruiting Update So Far
There have been a lot of questions about where we're at, and what's happening so I'm going to do a mini update so everyone is caught up on where we're at. We obviously won't know some aspects of what will happen until Brady Hoke assembles his staff, and starts to actually make phone calls and visits.
- There's been a rumor that LB Kellen Jones decommitted, which is not true. I spoke with his dad today, and he told me that's not even close. If the Michigan coaches tell Kellen that they want him just as much as the previous coaching staff did then he will be in Ann Arbor. Kellen is visiting Colorado this weekend, because it's already set up, and it's just for fun. He is supposed to take a visit out to Miami, but they're not sure if that will even happen. Kellen still feels the same about Michigan, he's just covering himself for just in case.
- Kris Frost hasn't heard from Auburn yet. If they say no, there's a good chance he'll come to Michigan. If they say yes, then as far as I understand someone else will lose their spot.
- K Matt Goudis and DB Dallas Crawford are visiting Miami this weekend. Dallas knows that Michigan has hired a new coach, and has started to do research on him.
- WR Devin Lucien is a recruit that has been waiting for Michigan to make a hire so he can visit. He still wants to talk to the coaching staff to make sure his offer will be honored, but he was being recruited by San Diego State. Michigan has a great chance with Devin.
- OL Chris Bryant is announcing at the end of January, but this hire for Michigan also helps with him. Michigan is in the lead.
- The only current commits we need to monitor really are Dallas Crawford, Matt Goudis, and Jake Fisher. Blake Countess will just require a phone call to make sure everything is in order, and we should be good to go with everyone else.
If you have any other questions, or if I'm forgetting anything ask in the comments and I'll try to get it answered. It's going to be an ongoing update as the coaches start to reach out to commits and recruits.
Any shot at getting Dee Hart back in the fold or another stud RB?
Also, what do you know about Hoke as a recruiter?
Dee Hart is early enrolled at Alabama.
Just watched the Presser on MGoblue, all the way through. Hoke was very nervous at first, then began to warm up. I'm left with Two indelible impressions, one of Hoke and one of Brandon.
1. If you're the parent of a recruit, Brady Hoke pressed every one of your buttons. He is a parent's dream. Straight shooter, passionate, intense, and totally focussed on developing his players to grow as athletes, as students, as men, and to become part of the Michigan family. He portrayed that Michigan family as bound responsibility, tradition, excellence, and leadership. No Bs. No "gray areas." Watch it. You can see why he is described as a great recruiter.
2. Look at Dave Brandon's face in the sequence following Hoke's Q&A. His face looks different, no longer that of the polished corporate executive, but more that of an exhausted and almost angry man who has had enough. Look at his mouth and his eyes. Hoke had said earlier that he doesn't feel the pressure to turn the program around on a dime. Brandon looks like he's finally letting the pressure show.
In any case, Brandon echoed Hoke's emphasis on the players and the team. Pretty clear that a strong message is being sent not only to recruits, but to their families, and to the larger Michigan family.
Tom, did you pick up the same impressions?
As far as #1 goes, even Saban and Dantonio have learned to give off that vibe to parents.
When Hoke starts bringing in the best and developing players into stars that no one else saw much in then we can call him a great recruiter. He sure hasn't shown it as a HC yet.
hart and dix are going to USCw for OVs this weekend
Heard from a bud close to the program in South Bend that they are making a hard push to turn Beyer. Is it just smoke or is it a real possibility? Thanks (I know you are busy).
I doubt ND will have a spot for him now, wouldn't be surprised to hear them checking in to see where his head is, but I really doubt they are recruiting him hard
I've gotten the impression from people who know him (he's from my hometown) that he's basically solid on Michigan. Lifelong fan, local boy... the whole deal
Thanks for the update, Tom. I don't know much about who he was recruiting at SDSU, any chance he tries to bring any of his verbal commits to AA?
thanks, tom. any word on when last week's canceled visitors will be rescheduled for?
Can former players from a program reach out to recruits? Given that many of Michigan's former players are supportive of Brady Hoke, can they call or text recruits? I would think a call from Woodson to a DB like Crawford would help immensely. If it is allowed, does it happen?
Thanks, sorry for the ignorance.
No, that's illegal.
Yup, former players are considered booster and, as such, improper contact with recruits is verboten and considered a recruiting violation.
Thanks for clarifying things Tom. I look forward to seeing what Hoke can do with these guys considering he has been praised as being a great recruiter. Hopefully, we can hold onto Kellen, Dallas, and Goudis, and pick up some of these guys.
[steps back from ledge]
ok. so, it'll be ok? right? WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT EVERYONE!!!!! TOMVH HATH SAVED US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE IS NO GREATER HUMAN BEING ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!!!!!!!! HE SHOULD BE ONE OF THE NEW COORDINATORS!!!!!!!
[everyone grows quiet]
No, no. Florget that last bit. Just got a little carried away. My bad. thanks again, Tom.
Florget that last bit. <\blockquote> 1/12/11 - Never florget!
Great work as aways! Hopefully everyone stays!! Any word on SDSU commits that Hoke might bring over?
Tom, can you think of any 2011 recruits that weren't considering, or weren't seriously considering, Michigan that may now be pulled toward our direction because of the Hoke hire?
I'm not Tom. But I'll attempt to answer.
While both Lucien and Chris Bryant were Michigan leans before the hire, I think the Hoke hire helps us with each. With Lucien, Hoke has the CA ties and he developed early contacts with Lucien back in the day before Lucien got BCS offers. With Bryant, seems like the certainty of the coach is enough.
Just my guess. We need both of these guys. And then to focus on... DEFENSE.
Bryant said UM is his #1 today
Any chance he brings any with him? Given the pure numbers we are sitting on it could help if he has any quality guys to poach?
Any reaction whatsoever from Zettel? Or has that ship sailed.
You didn't mention him, but I suppose the fact that you didn't means he's still in the fold . . . or did I miss something amid the hubhub of the past two weeks?
If you get a chance Tom, could you touch on QB (McEvoy, Cardale, Jeffries), any other OL or DL we have even a remote shot at, and if we might be able to sway any of the guys we lost out on recently (Lyons, Frost, Zettel, etc.)
I'm hoping to see commitments soon from Lucien, Flowers, Bryant, Raymon Taylor, and some others I don't know about!
McEvoy said he dropped us because of the coaching uncertainty and eventual firing. Cardale Jones may be an option, unless his academics get in the way, which they might.
I didn't realize that, but it might behoove him to undrop us now that we have a coach that would suit his skills well and we really need QBs.
It's between UNC and South Carolina for him.The 'cocks are already over the 25 limit and are still recruiting so it's either go to a school that may tell you to get lost later on or a school that should be getting hit with major probation. Not sure what he's thinking.
Yeah, neither are great situations. Over the next couple weeks we may be able to convince him that he's a guy we really want (and will keep) and that our program is on the up and up (as opposed to the other way around like UNC).
OSU doesn't seem interested in anyone from Glenville this year except Walker. Seems like a good chance to build a pipeline.
Any read on Dallas Crawford?
He posted the following:
Dallas knows that Michigan has hired a new coach, and has started to do research on him.
Sounds like Dallas Crawford's status is holding steady, but that he wants to know more about Hoke before affirming or rescinding his commitment.
he named Miami his #1 but that was before Hoke was announced
That's a bummer, but it sounds like Countess is a solid commit (who is almost certainly better than Crawford) and I would expect a commit from Raymon Taylor if we want it (who is likely on the same level as Crawford). That would make four CBs in this class without Crawford to add to our three CBs from last class that all got PT as true frosh.
If there is one area we can handle a decommit, it's there. Hopefully BH can find enough guys to fill up this class at the positions of greater need than corner.
Did I mis-hear it, or did Hoke say that he would be contacting all the Michigan commits today after the press conference.
Is this allowed during the dead period?
during he dead-period, you're allowed 1 call a week per recruit. Sam Webb said that this morning on the recruiting roundup.
Yeah, a dead period doesn't mean there's no contact. It means there's no in person recruiting allowed. They are allowed to call/write during the dead period.
Are their any D-linemen left that Hoke might be able to reach out to (since he was a d-line coach) to add to this class. It seems like a desperate need.
Not a dlineman but frank clark sounds pretty interested, LB
Rawls would be nice with this kind of offense. hope he has the grades
One would think that Hoke could go to say Zettel and say: "So, you want to play OG? Well, you might want to see what seven-time Pro Bowler Steve Hutchinson said about me. Yup, best coach he ever had. No, you say that DL is more your style? Well, I did coach three All-Americans at Michigan, if that helps. It does? Well, pick up your winged helmet and let's go."
Also, I'm guessing that Charles Woodson's comments couldn't hurt with Dallas Crawford.
If he saw what went on today on campus in front of the media, my belief is we have not heard the last of Mr. Zettel on his college choice.
Any QBs being mentioned? Sounds like Tate is gone and we only have two QBs on the roster as of now (Denard may or may not be staying).
If we're looking for a QB prospect, how about Alex Niznak? He's currently a CMU recruit and relatively under the radar (2-star ESPN/ 3-star Scout/ 2-star Rivals), but he was super productive and I've seen/heard good things about him.
Watched Niznak play against my brother in the finals game, very poised in the pocket and has a great arm for the short to mid level passing game. Didn't really get a chance to see him let loose deep, they were taking 5 to 10 yard outs and slants across the middle a lot. Still, he could really sling the ball to the side lines.
What about Chad Jeffries? He's currently commited to San Diego State and is ranked the #10 Pro QB on Rivals.com. Pretty good size. I think Hoke could snag him.
That would be good. Have another scholarship guy that we can hopefully redshirt but can be used in an emergency.
Thanks for the update Tom! Would a recruit like Arnett be more willing to flip back to Michigan since Hoke runs a Pro-Style offense? Any QB's or TE, i.e. Cardell Jones or Tabb, willing to come to Michigan since the offense changed?
Tabb narrowed his list to arkansas, unc and iowa yesterday
has been very negative in the media (twitter) regarding M. I doubt this changes anything.