also not coming
TomVH: Big House BBQ Visitor List
[Bumping this to the top because it's relevant for today - Tim]
You asked for it.......multiple times, so here it is. I was going to wait, but I figured it would give everyone something to do. This is the same as the Spring Game list, this can change, it's not set in stone, and it's only the people I've confirmed so far. There are more people coming (I'm assuming), I just haven't gotten in touch with them yet.
- OL Anthony Zettel - He said he probably won't pull the trigger.
- DE Chris Rock - He also said he probably won't commit. It's getting close, though.
- DT Darian Cooper - He's very excited to come see Michigan. He'll be in with his mother.
- Corey Marshall - Supposed to be there, not 100%
- WR AJ Jordan - He'll be there (as of now), and he's pretty excited about it.
- Commit DE Brennen Beyer
- LB Branden Jackson - Michigan has a good chance here, he's from PA.
- DB Dondi Kirby - He'll know by Friday if he's going, or not. He lives in PA, so it's not too far for a last minute decision. If he comes, LB Armstead Williams will be coming with him. They're best friends, and travel together, and potentially want to go to school together. They're both going to wait until signing day, but Michigan is in good favor with both of them.
- OL Ryan Kelly - One of the newer offers from Ohio, which you can read about here.
- LB Sean Duggan - He was invited (this is more of an invitation event, so not a lot of random people will be showing up), but can't make it.
- WR Damiere Byrd - Hasn't been hearing much from Michigan lately. I'm assuming it's because we're in on Spiffy Evans, AJ Jordan, Sammy Watkins, and DeAnthony Arnett.
- DE Deion Barnes - No ride, and didn't know about the event. (No invite)
- LB Kris Frost - Unfortunately his family can't afford the trip again. He's rescheduling for the summer.
- RB Demetrius Hart
- LB Lamar Dawson - He's coming out with a top list in the next week, or two. He's going to try to visit this summer.
- DB Daren Kitchen - Too far, and he plans on camping this summer. If he has an offer when he comes up for camp, expect him to commit, or already be committed. He told me there's a 90% chance he'll commit to Michigan. LSU has been recruiting him (he's from LA), but he really likes Michigan right now. He loves Charles Woodson, and thinks he can be a big corner like him. Kitchen is 6'2", 175 lbs.
- OL Aundrey Walker - Glenville....(insert fart noise here).
- TE Ray Hamilton - Can't make it
- DB Dondi Kirby - He's not coming. if he's going, or not. If he would've made it, LB Armstead Williams would have come with him. They're best friends, and travel together, and potentially want to go to school together. They're both going to wait until signing day, but Michigan is in good favor with both of them.
- OL Ray Ball - Recently offered. He was very honest to me when we spoke. He said he does really like Ohio State and Wisconsin, despite the fact that OSU hasn't offered. He said he's from Ohio, so he just likes OSU because of that. He also told me that he's excited to see what Michigan has to offer, and despite his interest in the other two schools, it doesn't mean Michigan won't get a fair look. (side note: He sounds like a really respectable, religious kid. I was impressed with him, and also he's a giant). His uncle moved the visit to June 5th, they have some things going on right now.
We need this kid. Somebody wrap him up some a that BBQ.
Somebody get this kid up here!!!!
Thanks for the list Tom and I'm glad we are in good position for many OL
I thought dee hart was coming? what happened?
It's been up in the air, and now it looks like he won't make it in. Hard to afford another trip so soon.
It says nothing about Michigan's standing in his recruitment.
yeah hopefully he still has us as his leader after his camp at Alabama in June. I hear Hasean Clinton-Dix is really pushing hard for him to go to bama.
Nice work as always. Any word on DeAnthony Arnett or Justice Hayes? I'm guessing those guys were invited.
comments on OL Ray Ball. I would love for a kid like that to have a great time at the BBQ, see what a great place M is, and then seriously consider becoming a Wolverine.
Your hard work is always appreciated.
Well...lets hope we can get some of these guys to commit! I think after we have a good season, they will come at U of M like a tidal wave.
....how should i interpret D. Hart not coming?
a. Draw a warm bath and find a razor blade.
b. All is well
Not Tom, but like I said...no worries. It says nothing about Michigan falling out of his top spot (because they haven't).
His father can't make the trip and the whole point for him coming to another event was for his father to get a look at the school. That is what they are saying on both Rivals and Scout.
The answer is B.
Is it safe to assume that all of our current commits are invited?
Need to get Frost up here..
Would it be a recruiting violation if all of us sent $5 or $10 to him via PayPal for gas money so he can drive up to Michigan?
Any word on if the Glendale boys were invited?
Isn't that in California? Who are we recruiting from Glendale?
Though I think he means Scottsdale, AKA the home of Chaparral High, AKA the home of Andre Y.
Or maybe he meant Glenville....
Yes, I meant Aundrey Walker and Cardale Jones from Glenville, OH. Sorry for the confusion, but any word on these two?
There is also a Glendale, CA. It's actually much bigger than Glendale, AZ (over 200,000 people). I actually live about 2 miles from Glendale.
It's weird that Deion Barnes didn't get an invitation. I'm slightly confused by that. And I can't imagine that hearing Michigan didn't invite him to a party will help us in his recruitment. Maybe the coaches aren't interested anymore...? They just offered him in the last few weeks, so I wouldn't think their interest would have waned so quickly.
Coach Rod doesn't screw around with recruiting, and he tells the recruits that we are interested in them, and if they are in us, only then we will continue the recruitment. He also tells them that they will earn their scholarship and playing time. Often this doesn't sit well with young recruits. For example, last month at the NFL Draft, I asked Rod Woodson why he chose Purdue over us, and he said it was because we wouldn't guarantee he'd start his first year but Purdue would. Supposedly our guy who recruited him (Wilson) wouldn't guarantee him anything.
This no-nonsense approach may explain the reason why Barnes was not invited, ie, he wasn't showing true interest in us. So, in that view, it makes total sense. I'm not saying this is the case, however.
All this may be well and good, but I don't believe you because it's not all about Denard.
Unfortunate that some of the recruits can't make it, but understandable. I just hope we have enough BBQ for the recruits who are coming - did we plan for a giant in advance? We may have to feed him a running back.
If I learned anything from The BFG, it's that most giants won't be satiated unless they eat some children. If you're a parent in the Ann Arbor area, you might want to keep a watchful eye on your kids.
...or the slot receivers.
Love the Roald Dahl reference.
Not sure if this was the Dahl reference. I hear BFG, I think Brandon F***ing Grahm. In this case children and slot WR, you are safe. QB's, RTs, and RBs beware, you will be eaten.
this post was moved, as a reply to MGoShoe's post.
This definitely makes these OT threads more bearable
A number of people in this thread commented on how well we're doing with linemen. I actually looked at this list and had concern for how well we're doing with linemen, at least offensive linemen. It's good to see that we're high on DL's, but we don't have that big of a DL need (lots of freshmen and sophs this fall, as well as 2 juniors starting).
We do, however, have a big OL need (4 players brought in over the last 2 years) and it's the most important position group on the team, IMO. There's no doubt in my mind that RR will be able to bring in solid offensive position players, so if we can field a very good Oline, we will have a dominant offense. The 4 guys we've snagged the last couple years all seem to be very good players, but I'd really like to see more quantity.
Agreed. We have a good shot at a couple offensive linemen (Zettel, Walsh), but it would be nice to have a few more guys who are high on Michigan.
Dont you think that, like most other positions this year, OL recruits will become more interested in us if we have a good to great year?
8 wins will work wonders for our recruiting.
No doubt about that. But for a lot of good prospects, by the time we get 8 wins (unless those 8 wins are over our first 8 games) it will already be too late. Now, if we win 10 or 11 games, it will get the attention of kids who are already deep in their recruitment. But if we have to wait until late November before the kids we want start noticing us, it's probably too late for most of them.
Now, if we have 5-8 solid OL prospects who already have interest in us by the beginning of the season, 8 wins will probably be enough to get the commitment from 3-4 of them.
I think "quality O-linemen recruiting" will be the "we need defense" meme for the rest of the year.
After, AFTER, Michigan completed a 5-7 record last year, RR secured the commitments of Jibreel Black, Demar Dorsey, Cullen Christian, Davian Rogers, Jake Ryan and one or two others I'm forgetting about.
Why you'd have any concern about RR finding 4 quality O-linemen recruits, given his ability to switch committed kids, boggles my mind.
I never said I have concern he will find them. But we all know your stance on recruiting jg, so I don't know why you ever comment on here.
My "concern" if you will, is not that we won't be able to find 4 guys who play OL to commit to us, it's that we aren't in on many of the bigger names early, and our class will fill up soon. Last year we had a lot of scholarships to give out, so it wasn't much of a space issue. This year, it seems that we have offers out to so many guys that if they commit, we might again have a small OL class, limited by room in the class, not by talent.
Also, of the guys you listed that committed after our season, Jibreel and Cullen were high on us from the get go, Demar was the question mark, and Rogers and Ryan were LB's we got once the plan A guys committed elsewhere. I'd rather not do that this year.
Regarding your last sentence, guess what - you and I have no say over recruiting.
How do you know Michigan's not in on a bunch of high quality O-linemen recruits? The offer lists on Scout and Rivals directly refute your allegation.
And finally, RR might have a bunch of scholarship offers out, but it's not like he'll fill up the class with WRs and forget to bring in O-linemen. This was the same complaint re:, wait for it, the defense last year. It ended up that 15 of the recruits last year were defense, despite this board's whining mid-summer. Just like last year, if Michigan has a need, they'll fill it.
Now watch the soccer and relax.
Are we in good position for Walsh? If so, can I have a link please? I thought Notre Dame would be a strong player since his good friend is Chris Watt, an Irish commit in 2009. Is Andre Y gonna stay on the West Coast, USC or Oregon are we a definite player in his recruitment. I think Zettel will be blue but other than him I am extremely worried about our OL recruits.
Wash likes Michigan according to TomVH. I don't have a link, but he mentioned that at one point.
(eg Wormley) or is it for 2011 only?
I was wondering the same thing. I guess I really have little knowledge of the BBQ. I have paid attention to the Spring game each year but have never checked out this event. I searched the site and mainly found topics on whi is and is not attending (and even past years.) Anyone willing to give a quick overview of the BBQ?
Correct me if Im wrong Tom, but I believe Ray Ball is/was a spartan fan growing up?
I read the story on him on GBW yesterday, do we really need more defensive backs? I mean obviously we've offered several since the commitment of Delonte, but are we expecting an offer to go his way? It seems pretty silly that we would bring in 3 CBs (I know, Brown will probably end up a deep safety) the year after bringing in 4 (or 3), especially with the lingering issue of class size.