the just released schedules were a flat-out statement that the B10 doesn't believe SOS will matter in playoff selection
Step back from the ledge
It seems that some people on these boards are losing it. Although I had to open my bottle of Knob Creek after the second fumbled kickoff return in the first quarter, I will give some positives I saw from the game:
- We moved the ball on the ground consistently. Unfortunately, turnovers (two in the red zone) kept us from scoring points, but I thought the O-Line looked better than last week. I consider week to week improvement from this group a plust, win or lose.
- The Notre Dame offense consisted of two big plays. Granted nobody wants to give up big plays, but they did not consistently move the ball against our D even if Morgan Trent didn't have his best game. However, we did seem to miss some tackles. Maybe this was due to poor footing in the rain? I'd have to watch the game again.
- Threet looked much improved from last week, putting balls in catachable places for receivers. This is what was missing from the Miami game. I thought he made some big steps today which bodes well for the rest of the season.
- Clausen's line for the game 10-21, 147, 2td, 2 ints. If anybody tells me thats Clausen's line before the game, i predict a win.
- I don't think we're hitting the fade routes the way the coaching staff wantt to. Our receivers don't seem to hold their vertical route very well and the qb's aren't leading them to their outside shoulder. This is usually a timing issue that should be correcting with more practice. We did however hit a couple comebacks and throw the ball well otherwise.
- Carson Butler in the red zone has got to sit and get his head around faster on that pick in the red zone. That was a catchable ball delivered on time and should have been caught.
- Obviously turnovers cost us today. Wet conditions with freshman on the field is a recipe for fumbles. This comes with experience, and is correctable.
Overall, I think people have to be encouraged going into the big ten schedule. I think we can still win seven games and get to a bowl game. I expected the worst today, and I saw improvement despite turnovers. That may be me being a homer, but I am optimistic about the rest of our schedule.