So as your stats work shows (and thanks again as always for the great charting work), our defensive stats have all been trending downward as of late. What percentage of the following possible explanations would you attribute that slide towards?
- Morgan's injury
- Tougher competition in terms of the offenses we face in the B1G
- General exahustion from rough schedule
- Not playing the zone defenses that Coach B is known for and has used more in the past, i.e. the 1-3-1 that drives some teams nuts
- Defensive lack of hustle/heart/grit/Novak
- Too many freshmen
- Other teams figuring out our weaknesses and exploiting them
- Some other mystery causing regression by the players on the team as the season wears on
I personally would break it out as follows:
- No Morgan: 5% - I think his absence hurts us more on O than D given his backups
- Tougher Os in B1G than in OOC: Not so sure on this one, OSU, PSU and Wisc's Os tend to suck outside of when they play us, but when they play us they're on fire. I'd say 5%
- Exhaustion: 15%, especially in the last 5 games.
- Not going to the zone: 15%. With how weak some of our defenders are in man coverage, why aren't we breaking out the 1-3-1 more?
- Lack of Novakian qualities: 20%. How many times have you wanted to scream at your TV when you see someone dogging it back on defense, especially GRIII?
- Too many freshman: 15% GRIII and Stauskas seem to be defensive liabilities. McGary gets out of position sometimes, but he at least has some major hustle.
- Other teams scouting: 15% the B1G has some smart coaches that are able to shut down our offense with their schemes, so I'm sure they are able to exploit our D weaknesses as well.
- Mysterious other: well, I've got 10% left after my distribution, so maybe it goes here? I dunno. Maybe they hung out with Shane and got mono?