What really pissed me off is when I was leaving the game I heard more than one conversation bashing the new system as worthless. To quote one alumni I walked by "I'd take Lloyd Carr over this". I almost wanted to turn around and tell him he was retarded, but he was with his wife and kids too so I let it go.
The New Coach
The other day a writer, well actually a few writers said some not so nice things about our new football coach or the state of the new program. I, E-man, am quite pleased with the hire. I do not mind playing the devils advocate about the hire or the controlled opposition as to the gameplan. But I am fully onboard, no turncoat here folks. I do however feel the Michigan fanbase when it comes to Michigan Football is at odds with each other. A very confused bunch we are at this moment. Losing will do that. From writers to bloggers and on you go, confusion. In the bickering, Buckstache, Sparty and the irrereverant Domers are having their collective moments of fun. But these will be short lived. I will offer up three reasons why:
1. I saw a well coached team out there Saturday from a fundamental level. I did not always see execution but what I did see was very promising. For a first game, whether home or away it was very promising in spite of the outcome. When you have that level of coaching for the players, it's like having an amazing marinade for a good barbeque. Except the knowledge you marinade your players in enables them to eat other people teams. So if you opposing fans start to smell something burning in the next couple of weeks to a year, it's your team getting cooked. So laugh now. Seriously Michigan is going to be there. If you watch film for fun of college football there were some very promising events that happened for Michigan last Saturday.
2. Not suprisingly Rich Rodriguez, his family and staff have their core values firmly in tact. You can call them family values if you are so inclined. He wanted Michigan when others balked or walked. We'll gladly take Rich here and keep him thank you very much.
3. The energy is up and it will continue to rise. You can't keep a good program down forever. There is way to much going on here. Michigan football wins out. Sorry to say it to you other programs. There's been so many players and coaches over the years. The maize and blue are still dominant. This will not change.
So I will leave a quote from one of my favorite movies(Uh-oh) Hoosiers.
12:12: "Look mister, there's two kinds of dumb ... the guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and the guy who does the same thing in my living room. The first one don't matter, and the second one you're kinda forced to deal with."
(Yup, it's That Guy from "Major League" trying to stage a coup d'etat with Coach Dale's first practice! Leave the ball, will ya, George?)
12:14: "Let's see what kind of hand I've been dealt here."
(Here's the hand, Coach: Seven players on your team, 64 kids in the whole school, and your best player is MIA. Also, everyone in the town already hates you. Good luck.)
Is the cupboard really that bare at Michigan? We may never know because we are adjusting to a new style. After game one certain members of the media basically said the same thing to Coach Rodriguez as George said in Hoosiers. We do not need anymore of that now.
So to close, as a fanbase we could lighten up some to our coach. Me included. I am slowly seeing the pieces of the puzzle coming together. Negative energy is not needed here anymore. We will struggle but who cares. Let's enjoy the struggles, because they will soon be gone.
How did you know he was a graduate of Michigan? But, if he were, he would be an alumnus.
Emil help me out here with this. What would you say would be a good latin term for a fan of the former Michigan Football teams style be??? I'd like to think I am a graduate of that. Because let me tell you.....I have a degree in many years of watching Gary and Lloyd ball. It might be in a bar watching good will hunting kind of way but I'm sure there's a latin phrase for it. I am trying to think what Dr. Evil would say to you and this alumnus thing but only a stare comes to mind.
- DR EVIL - Number 2, what does aluuuuumnus mean?
- MINI ME- eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Barwis
- DR EVIL - Mini Me stop licking the photo of Mr. Barwis
- NUMBER 2- Dr. Evil an alumnus is.......
- DR EVIL- ALLLLUMMMMNUS
- NUMBER 2- Yes aluuuuummmmnus is a grad....
- SCOTT- IT MEANS HE'S A GRADUATE DAD! Like Alumni All it means is he's a fricking graduate of that place But he had to say it like" Allllumnus."
- DR EVIL- So that's it then he's a fricking graduate, like Dustin Hoffman in,"The Graduate."
- MINI ME-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Barwis
There really is something very profound happening in and around this program right now. Very profound. And if the fans(media as well) can learn to love the fact that there is no ground beneath our feet. No more traditions to uphold! You thought my next line was going to be from Imagine and John Lennon right? Kidding. But How cool right! If we the fans can find an inner light or strength with no ground beneath our feetas this team has or is learning to do it will be even more profound. You have to I suppose learn to love the negativity and not start more fires when you hear people say these things. The players embraced it, they played very hard out there. That takes heart and a willingness to embrace things not seen. The fans, will need to transform as well. The stubborness will be there always. Would we want it to go away? NO. Paradox, insecurity and uncertainty will always be there where change takes place. So we must try new things and love that we in this with no ground! Sorry first I did the Austin Powers thing and then I just got a lil Love Guru channeling there. Change is fun. Real fun. People need to chill and look at it(the program) in a different light.
I haven't been able to sleep I'm so pumped for the Miami game. The next 3 weeks Michigan is going to improve more than any team anywhere. And that bye week is perfectly timed for us to get it together to take down Wisconsin at home. I completely agree with everything you said.
do you know what i love it is the zapatista movement it is so great and awesome