further adventures in Jed York being unsuited for his position
I was reading "The clash of the fanbases" diary, and I was inspired to create an account just so I could share this story. I'm pretty sure it's worth its own diary!
So, last year being my senior year, two of my die-hard Michigan friends and I decided to take our long awaited pilgrimage down to Columbus for the OSU-Michigan game. To top things off, we bought tickets that ended up being (much to our surprise/ dismay/ excitement) smack dab in the middle of OSU's upperclassmen student section. We were the only ones. If you watch the game you can actually see three lonely maize dots in a sea of red. We were also interviewed for some show on FSN before the game started because of our choice of seating.
Describing the horrors we were subjected to doesn't do them justice. It was freezing, so, naturally, we sported winter accessories. One of my friends was wearing Michigan earmuffs which ended up providing 25% of the material for the berating given to us by the osu fans. (The other 75% were accusations of us being gay.. OSU fans aren't the most creative bunch). At one point, the entire student section started an "EARMUFFS! CLAP-CLAP-CLAP... EARMUFFS!-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP" chant.
Other acts of terror included the throwing of full cups of water (without tops) which drenched my back, two drunk fans behind us screaming into our ears before, during, and after every play, my life being threatened for turning around to take a picture of the score board (before the game...), a constant barrage of pop-corn, and many more.
At one point, my friend's Wolverine hat was ripped off of his head and thrown toward the field. The fan that caught it turned around and pointed to us then back to the hat. We waved and signaled for him to throw it back. He proceeded to turn and chuck it even further.
When we celebrated after Pryor threw an early interception, the students around us began making comments that we were engaging in some kind of intercourse.
I could go on forever, but I'm afriad this is getting a little redundant. I'll skip to the end. When OSU scored to go up by 28, the abuse was getting to such a dangerous level that we decided to leave in fear that they would hang us from the stadium by bucknut necklaces before the game's end. As we left, the entire student section gave us a standing ovation along with screaming every swear word I've ever heard and a few I think they might have made up then and there.
All in all, nothing can compare to the craziness of sitting in the Ohio State student section, as a Michigan fan, during an utter beat down. Today, I'm proud to say I survived that experience, and I'm an even stronger fan because of it. Despite it all, I can easily say that it was the most amazing experience I've ever had.