I am sorry to post my weekly recap late and in half-assed form, but life is hectic right now. I definately have even deeper appreciation for what Brian and others do to keep their blogs up and running. Kudos.
So that was a game that both gave me and cured my heartburn. I watched just about every play except for the last 4 minutes of the first half (how in the world we had two interceptions and only gave up 3 points???!) and the 3rd down roughing the passer play (was creating a super-pizza). Obviously we stunk, and then magically we didn't.
- RichRod is a great coach. This win firmly cemented this for me. This team had no business getting off the mat to fight for this win. He is a great, great leader.
- Our defense was impressive all day. Twice facing a short field, the Badgers had to settle for FGs. It really shows what our D can do when given 27 yards to defend instead of 15 as in the ND game.
- I think Wisconsin is a good team and that our run defense is really improving.
- I know this isn't much by way of analysis but I have no time for more.
Hats Off!!! Awards:
- Mike Barwis - Our team finally came through in the end because they were in much better physical condition. While Wisconsin's cheese eating fatties tired, our guys looked strong all game long.
- RichRod - While I have deep respect for our previous three coaches and I believe that they too would have lead a comeback, none of them (with the possible exception of Bo in 1969) had to pick up a team playing as bad as Michigan played in the first half. Just wow. I will never count out a RR lead team again.
- Johnny Thompson - Great concentration on that int and then what a run into the endzone. After seemingly causing so many problems against ND (thank you Brian for UFR), he is now a hero in one of Michigan's top all time wins. Hats Off!!! to you sir.
- Brandon Graham - Dude was a monster out there. Might have saved the game forcing that fumble when Wisky looked ready to score with 3 minutes left.
- Brett Bielema - It seemed to me that he changed his gameplan to readily, almost in panic when Michigan scored their second touchdown. The Badgers came out throwing and gifted us Thompson's int-TD immediately. I have no doubt that this guy can coach, but RR just pwned him. Plus not using Beckum and Clay more of the game seemed strange.
This team has serious problems ahead. I really don't think we can take much from this performance going forward except this: Michigan will be better conditioned than the opponent almost assuredly and always have a shot at winning. Illinois is winnable next week as I don't see their defense stuffing us as well as Wisky's did. Juice may cause problems with his feet, but I can feel the M Defense's confidence grow. Threet will have more confidence himself after a full game of not being yanked no matter how badly he was sucking. He may return to ND game form and if so, I see a win. This game gave us a legit shot at a bowl game and hence, a successful season. I now believe we can beat anybody left on the schedual, but I am still only seeing 7-5 overall.