the just released schedules were a flat-out statement that the B10 doesn't believe SOS will matter in playoff selection
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Since I’m locked in a protracted game of scrabble thought I’d bore you with my thoughts in between turns. Any post I make this year should be prefaced with the fact that Brian Kelly was my first choice and Les my second. My formerly jaded POV should be considered with that in mind (btw I support RR but also don't think it's wrong to have some doubts). With that out of the way…
- We’re exciting again. Not to be confused with train wreck exciting either. The last time I remember being so excited about watching UM football was the Drew Henson days. When Lloyd was coach I would often say I’d trade a win or two for a new coach that brought excitement to the Big House. Well it’s here and I can honestly say that my POV hasn’t changed. Even Kasparov would be hard-pressed to predict our play-calling this year.
- Quotes like these following the PSU game:
"I'm not discouraged," defensive end Brandon Graham said. "I'm going to keep fighting."
"I had fun out there," linebacker John Thompson said.
"We'll get it done," lineman David Moosman said.
- RR is looking more and more like our mascot. He’s deceptively witty, belligerent and ferocious just like a Wolverine. This bodes well for us. All great coaches bear a resemblance to their school mascot. Every single one of them. Take for example Coach K – a very successful little blue devil. John Chaney, the wise old Temple Owl was no slouch in his day either. Just to name a few. This development might even outweigh the Addidas curse as far as irrelevant superstitions go.
- Looks like our meeting with Sparty is coinciding nicely with their annual death spiral.
- Brandon Minor finally getting carries and teasing us with what might have been.
- Nick Sheridan getting snaps again and teasing us with what might have been.
- Sam McGuffie fumbling on the kick off return. Fumblitis on this scale is mental and probably has little to do with mechanics. What has our ball carriers freaked out? Let’s hope it’s not the image of RR looking like he’s going to explode if they make a mistake. RR’s scowl is here to stay, let’s hope the fumbles are not.
- Terrelle Pryor coming of age.
- The Lions and today's comeback bid. I mean, if you’re gonna end up 0-16 might as well do it in grand fashion right? Relative nail biters like this just won’t do.
- N. Illinois beating Toledo 38-7. So I guess N. Illinois must be feeling as good as Wofford and Georgia Southern did last year when they upended Appy State following the original photo opp at the Big House. Since a wiki entry does not exist for the Toledo debacle (like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game) can we assume the Appy St loss was more monumental?
- This quote:
"It was obviously not a very good game today," Spartans coach Mark Dantonio said. "Inability to tackle, turnovers, and we lost a very good opportunity to make an impact on this country."
Thank heaven we don’t have a coach who would say something like this. Les might have said something like this. If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.