this week in unintentionally grim-sounding recruiting headlines
Every once in a while, usually during a slow holiday week, I go into the Rivals FORT and respond to a chimpanzee there. It is always a mistake and a reminder why mgoblog flourishes. The theme is universally the same there: someone posts a comment, usually chock full of primitive misspellings, and then he gets flamed for posting the comment.
For example, today someone had the temerity to question RR's management of recruiting. Now, on the surface, this seems unwise because RR has done quite well based upon most measures. But this poster pointed out some of the cracks in the recruiting facade such as the decommits, communication with Shavodrick, management of QB recruiting, the lack of Michigan blood, etc. All have rational explanations, but you would have thought that this poster suggested Tressel was a better coach than Bo.
The interesting thing is that if someone were to post the opposite thesis, the flaming would still happen, and I am not convinced that some of the flamers would not be the same people.
So, I am offering this PSA to those considering a Rivals membership for Christmas. Don't. It's not that it isn't useful, but I think you get 60% of the value from the free stuff and the other 40% can be found here. Send Brian the $$$.
but i do click the ads
a great site should get funded!
You're such a buckeye fan. BUY IN!!
half of which is idle rumor and the rest you'll eventually find out for free anyhow.
when someone posts some "inside information" from Rivals/Scout on a blog and the mods at said sites throw a hissy fit about copyrights/intellectual property/stealing information, as if the fact that Brandon Graham has locked down a starting spot has special legal ownership.
Try the B10 forum at the Detroit News website. I posted there for the first time a week before the 2007 FB season. I posted my reasons for believing we might lose to App State that weekend. I was expecting some discussion of my reasoning. Yeah right. 2 weeks of name calling and hacking attempts of my email address. It got worse after they did lose!!!
Well, I gave my log in info to my Engineering students. They had fun for 6 months till they were banned after creating a java bot to respond to any post with nonsense, 24 hours a day. God, I love Engineering students.
...that remark. And resent it. Remember, a chimpanzee made it to space before ANY American.
There is always someone on the Internet in need of correction.
Agreed. I find you can get all the info you need from the free stuff on Rivals and this here MGoweb with Brian and TomVH.
But do find some spare greenbacks for Brian if you've got it!