it's a major award
WEEK 2 OUTCOME:
Most Hideous: Toledo 54 - Colorado 38 AND Maryland 38 - JMU 35 (OT)
- Not only is this a terrible job of scheduling by the Colorado AD, but coming off a loss to CSU the Buffs were in a no win situation. Friday night is usually reserved for High School Football, and Colorado's level of play reflected that. I thought the 2008 Michigan defense that gave up 6 points to Toledo was one of the worst I had ever seen, but Colorado, I salute you.
-Well, I (almost) told you so. After losing 52-13 in week 1 to Cal, Maryland nearly suffered a defeat at the hand of the Colonial Athletic Association's powerhouse, JMU. However down 28-21 going into the 4th Quarter, Ralph Friedgen pulled off a brilliant coaching move by purging an entire chicken, motivating his men to victory in one of the biggest wins in Maryland history.
WEEK 3 HEAVYWEIGHTS:
Gardner-Webb @ N.C. State: The only way I would watch this game is if you told me that next year Devin Gardner and Martell Webb were going to play N.C. State by themselves with perfect 10 models as the officials and all proceeds going to charity.
MSU @ Notre Dame: Little Brother @ Giant Whiner. This game is hideous for so many reasons, but none more than the fanbase of the two squads. If ND loses I can't help but think Fat Charlie will all but have lost his job and the reaction among the Domer faithful should provide endless hours of entertainment. If MSU loses; the RCMB will spontaneously combust eliminating 1,000 of the worst people on Earth and Dantonio will be seen for what he really is, a career .500 coach. With a Spartan loss Dantonio will also achieve what even Bobby Williams and John Lansing Smith couldn't, losing at ND.
Iowa State @ Kent State: Please, oh god please, someone turn it off. No seriously, I'm begging, is Real Housewives of Atlanta re-runs on? Will somebody snatch a kid and trigger the Amber Alert? Can I get a Tornado Warning? Anything but this.
OSU @ Toledo: Any outcome other than a 40 point win with TP throwing like Tate Christ will have the Buckeye nation spinning. Does anyone else think Toledo will put up more than a good fight? After 30+ points on offense the first two weeks including the 54 they hung on Colorado last week, I wouldn't be that surprised. Some advice to the Vest, run Pryor.
UVA @ Southern Miss: Last chance Mr. Grohl, and I don't like your chances. TMHGOTW is going to miss you.
I am interested as always to hear your thoughts on which games you find to be particularly terrible.
After receiving a relatively favorable response, TMHGOTW is back, and with a vengeance. I am still up in the air as to whether this is a board subject or a Diary topic. Feedback on the matter is much appreciated.
WEEK ONE OUTCOME:
Most Hideous: W&M 26 - UVA 14
- How Al Grohl still has a job is beyond me. The guy has been on the hot seat every year for the past decade and he will need another miraculous turnaround to salvage his job. With how bad the ACC proved itself to be last week, he must be strangely confident still that his Wahoo's can win a few games.
WEEK 2 HEAVYWEIGHTS:
Colorado @ Toledo: Yikes. Colorado, fresh off any absolutely dismal effort against Colorado State, takes on a Toledo squad who was thoroughly curb stomped by the running game of Purdue. Coach Hawkins was pretty adamant that this would be the year the Buffs would circle the wagons, but once the THC wears off the AD might be telling Hawkins to "go coach intramurals brotha!" Side note, perhaps Toney Clemons will stop by Ann Arbor to grab some Mister Spots and catch up with his old pals....errrr not.
James Madison @ Maryland: Nothing gets me going like the atmosphere at Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium, especially with JMU in town. If Maryland plays like they did against Cal, JMU could easily pull this one off. I'm no psychic so I won't make a prediction on who will win, however, I do predict enough loose skin for all in attendence.
Illinois State @ Illinois: The fighting Pierre Rembert's march into hideous Champaign to take on Zook and his underachieving all-stars. The Zooker has long proven to be one of the worst in game coaches in all of college football so the outcome of their game vs. Mizzou last weekend shouldn't have come of that big of a surprise...but it did. If the Illini shit the bed against the 1-AA Redbirds the Zooker and Al Grohl may become fishing buddies.
Texas @ Wyoming: See Michigan @ UConn in 20??. (yes I am aware that a BCS school is far different than Wyoming, so please don't bring it up.)
Duke @ Army: Should be plenty of Coach K references to take the focus off the quality of football being played. I am slightly bitter about Army depriving Coach English of victory #1 as HC of EMU.
Iowa @ Iowa State: Iowa is now going to try blocking kickoffs to get better field position. Iowa State still has some of the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen. People may try and call this a rivalry game but no one really cares, and for good reason. The phrases "blue collar" and "hard nosed" are sure to be used in excess by analysts covering the game.
Troy @ Florida: Come on Florida, someone is going to get hurt here.
As always I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on some of week 2's most hideous games. The schedule for week 2 is posted below.
This is my first diary, and as that it is such, I wanted to bring something unique to the board. This topic is something very near and dear to my heart, and I think that you all will enjoy this segment. If the response is positive, I will try and make this a weekly diary. So without further ado I present MGoBlog with, "The Most Hideous Game of the Week."
Background: TMHGOTW was born on a sunny day in the Mosher-Jordan dormitory my freshman year at UMich, 2004. A few of my friends and I, who are all football fanatics, would browse the week's games to see which game was the least attractive, the game you couldn't watch without noticing the hideousness.
Criteria: The criteria for picking the most hideous game is very simple and subject to the interpretation of the watcher. It's pretty much a combination of anything your mind can conceive. The contrast of the teams' colors; the venue, the fans, the names, the distances traveled, the decisions the schools made in order to make the game possible, the assumed rivalry between the two schools (i.e. Maryland and NC State), the hideous hype surrounding a game that deserves none, the style of play of both teams, their overall records, the weather, the blandness of the schools, the hideousness of their academia, and pretty much anything else you want to include. (Maryland vs. NC State is the perennial most hideous game of the year)
Week One Line up and Explanations: I have looked through the week one schedule and will be putting some of my suggestions down below with an explanation as to why I feel the game is deserving. These are not in any particular order.
1. Cincy @ Rutgers: Nothing says college football like a MONDAY night matchup between these two BE heavyweights. This is a throwback to your grandfather's college football days as these two teams play without a single recognizeable player between them (save Witherspoon). The only thing more disgusting than the colors out on the field will be Rutger's style of play.
2. Northeastern @ BC: Ahhh the battle of the brand new Red Sox hats. This game is especially hideous to me because Boston is probably my least favorite city in the USA. There is something about the BC uniforms that make me nauseated, and I've always wondered if ND rejects are worse than the real thing.
3. Minnesota @ 'Cuse: What more needs to be said. The maroon and gold invade upstate New York to take on the puke Orange of the mighty 'Cuse. On one side, you have Tim Brewster who at any time is an 8 ball deep, against a resurgent 'Cuse program led by their new defensive mastermind, a Mr. Scott Shafer. The dome should be packed full of 40,000 people...leaving it half empty and ultimately...hideous.
4. Wofford @ South Florida: This game is hideous for a couple of reasons. The first and biggest being Jim Leavitt. I'm sorry Mr. Leavitt, but you are not a top tier football coach no matter how much you think you are. A real program has their own stadium and doesn't have to rent someone else's pirate ship. Someone please tell me that Matt Groeth-E is gone too, because I swear to God that E is silent and he has to be 37 years old at this point.
5. William and Mary @ UVA: My exgirlfriend went to UVA; don't really care for the skank anymore. All the panzies will be undoubtedly decked out in colors that even Andy Dick would be too straight to wear. The guys will be hammered from one too many memosas while the girls will be trying to warm up to their classmates named Hank Huckabee and Winston Riley Thornbull VIII.
Conclusion: So there you have it folks, a brief summary of my week 1 nominees. Please feel free to add your own below, and tell me why you feel that way.
Minor (rage) Edit: I forgot to mention one thing, and I apologize because it is the only rule...but one of the teams must be from a BCS conference.