landing spot. will be interesting to see how he does.
NOTE: Apologies for posting this here, but my posts in the forum no longer show up for some reason.
I am going to have to miss UTL2 and I would like to record it on my computer. I have verizon FIOS and there I can play TV channels on my computers. My plan was to record the whole game using a screen-recording software like Camtasia (triggerred by a windows task based on a timer)but have run into a snag. A 2 minute video is coming out to around 500 MB!
I have tried everything I could think of...reducing screen res to 1280x1020, making the window small and recording only small portion of the screen, using compression settings etc. Not making a big dent. I just don't get it. My files usually from camtasia are of the order of 20-30MB for a 2 minute capture. My guess is the super fast transitions of video (as opposed to me recording a tutorial on how to do something on a computer) bump up the amount of data that needs to be stored.
I still do not understand how people like Thorin do it. Please help!
Brian should just immediately bump this to the front page (permanently) and post his stuff below this.
This is in response to "the return of McFarlin" which caused a bloodbath in the boards yesterday (Kudos to WolvinLA, Magnus and the others for fighting the good fight!).
To be fair, I am going to assume that the new posters who come to this board and bitch about our 3 star commits are genuinely worried about the program and not congenitally retarded ( think McFarlin).
If you have come to this the premier Michigan blog to find an answer for our seemingly poor recruiting performance, here it is (you dont need to start a new thread and rehash this every two days):
1. You are going to have to get used to the fact that Michigan under RR is simply not going to have Top 5 classes, ever. There are three main reasons for this:
A. Recent history has bumped up the prestige of schools like LSU, USC, UTexas and Florida way above Michigan's and it is a really uphill battle for us to beat them out for the creme de la creme.
B. The above mentioned states have a built-in geographical advantage. When freaks like DG or the Otter happen to be from Michigan, we benefit from it. But for the most part such freaks live in other states.
C. System, System, System: There are some positions in our system which necessitate a body/skill type that is not looked upon favorably by Scout or Rivals.
2. You should pay attention to recruiting so that you have something to do during offseason, but NOT consider it to be a sure fire indicator of future success. If you disagree with this, there is a beached whale in South Bend who can fill you in on what happens when you focus only on recruiting and don't bother developing the raw talent that you bring in.
3. Ultimately you have to tell yourself, that we would ( or at least I hope SHOULD) all enjoy it more if Michigan makes it to the Top 5 in the coaches poll/ AP poll / BCS poll MORE than if/when we make it to the Top 5 in Rivals/Scout ranking. If RR feels he needs to bring in no star nano particles with dreadlocks to get us there, then so be it. He is the head coach and it is his prerogative to decide who is on HIS team.
4. no sugarcoat
(I cant end an important post like without saying that! )
I really hope RR makes the following high on his priority list:
1. Find two guys who will return kicks and punts. Give them at least 500,000 reps. TEACH THEM THE BASICS. Tuck the damn ball on the correct side. Practice in cold weather. Practice when the wind is swirling. Teach them about an obscure concept called "Fair Catch". We cannot have a situation where the attitude is "Hey you look fast go return kicks for us". I am not saying this is happening now or happened last year, just make sure it doesn't happen ever.
2. Teaching good tackling technique. Easier said than done, but we really need to come up to at least D-1 levels on this. This has been a problem at UM for quite a few years(RE for all his "fire" couldn't teach tackling to save his life). Reply to all questions in press conference about defensive "schemes" with one standard retort: "Shut the hell up. When we learn how to tackle better than little girls, we will talk about schemes".
3. Have a conversation with Sheridan and explain to him that under NO circumstances should he take the field. If Tate gets injured, Denard gets injured, Threet gets injured, furrah gets injured.....even the Coner! gets injured, HE STILL HOLDS THE CLIPBOARD. Make it clear to him that we will snap the ball to Will Campbell in the wildcat formation before he even thinks of seeing the field.
4. Put some research into ritual sacrifices that will satisfy the Angry Michigan Hating God. You can prepare all you want, but if we have the kind of luck with injuries that we had last year, hello death...
My gut feeling has been dead-on for the Utah game and the Toledo game. I have a strong feeling we win the PSU game outright. Of course being an engineer I defer to the logic part of my brain 99.9% of the time, and I cant find any logical reason for this prediction, but I really have a strong feeling about this.
Reasons that sort of ( but not very strongly) support this are:
1. PSU's general futility against us. This plays to our advantage in a tangential manner here. They are going to be so eager to wipe the floor with us that they dont play within themselves and try to eliminate brain farts( which is all they need to do to beat us by 30).
2. Joe and Jay Pa ..enough said.
3. The inflated ranking of this PSU team. The general sucktitude of highly ranked teams against bottom feeders (yes, I just used this term to describe UM, kill me now please).
4. I really think our guys come together in an ultimate "us vs the world" to shock everybody. Young guys always play well when they have ZERO expectations placed on them. This should help them play loose and fast. Never under estimate the power of the "nobody believed in us" mojo.
On a completely different topic:
I see all this bitching from so many guys in the mgo community (not all but many) when I really feel I have so much more to bitch about than them and am still showing restraint. I basically the tolerate the rest of the year just for the sweet bliss of the few months that football is on. I knew coming into this year, it was going to be Mondo painful for UM (along the scale of watching Sauron depicted as a freaking cartoon eye in LOTR ), but 8 minutes into the NFL season Tom Brady goes down on a cheap shot.
I had the distict pleasure of watching us get mauled by Juice and then watching the Dolphins (the DOLPHINS!) put a beating on the Pats. This week I saw us lose to Toledo (If I see another "Holy Toledo" reference, I swear to god...) and then saw SD make us (the Pats) look like the Lions (Zing!) on Sunday Night football.
Um...so if everybody could just chill the heck out, that would be great.
In the same vein, I nominate Jamiemac's diary entry for the T-Shirt this week.
fabulous read, great perspective. In fact, Brian should start referring to the rest of the games this year as extended practices.