[Ed-M: Diary bump for usefulness.]
Interesting tidbits from David Brandon’s meeting with the team yesterday – this was conveyed to me by a contact of mine (can’t say who it is and can’t say whether it is a player/coach/manager) etc., but much of this was rehashed on the rivals forum yesterday.
I was always a Harbaugh or RichRod gets a 4th year guy, but hearing stuff like this is very encouraging. I’ll try to keep this concise:
- I refuse to believe that Dave Brandon let his ego get in the way of this coaching search.
He said he interviewed big names from every conference and found that some "big names" clearly have themselves as their first priority, not their players or the program. This made his search a little easier.
- He knows exactly what's been said on blogs and such. Said he wasn't on either plane that we were tracking (hahahaha.) He knows some will love the hire, others will hate it. It's his job not to care.
- He did interview Harbaugh and Miles. Harbaugh told him straight up that he was NFL bound and gave him advice. Didn't offer the job to Les Miles.
- Everyone he spoke to referred him to Brady Hoke. Opposing coaches, former players, former coaches all said he should consider Hoke.
Michigan alumni really supported Hoke (Steve Hutchinson called unsolicited to say that "Brady Hoke was the best coach I ever had")
- Only offered the job to one man -- Brady Hoke. Called Brady yesterday morning and offered, Brady accepted immediately. Didn't even ask about money.
- Money isn't an issue. We'll pour as much money as it takes into this program to win. Football is the heart of our athletic department. Whether it's $200 million to the stadium or new video boards.
- Brady is very familiar with our team and the special athletes we have at certain positions. "He knows you very well by number, and he'll learn your names starting tomorrow"
- The team was overwhelmingly happy when he announced it. I don't know that you could expect differently though. Morale is high.
- Even Denard looked happy. Especially when they were prepping them for interviews and mentioned that Hoke will incorporate spread aspects in his offense. At this point I don't think attrition will be high.
- Team started chanting "Nike" towards the end. Dave Brandon laughed and said he doesn't break contracts.
Sounds like Michigan is on its way back.