Wednesday Recruitin' Fires Up the Grill
Since this week in Michigan recruiting revolves around the BBQ at the Big House, Wednesday Recruitin' will follow suit. Since I don't want to shortchange new commit Sione Houma (or the visit of IA WR Amara Darboh), expect full coverage in next week's update.
Since there's unlikely to be a lot of action surrounding these guys (duh, they're already committed), a simple list will suffice:
- MI TE Devin Funchess. He plans to bring along his teammate, WR Aaron Burbridge (see below).
- OH OL Caleb Stacey
- OH OL Kyle Kalis. He's solid in his Michigan commitment.
- MI OL Ben Braden
- MI DE Matt Godin
- OH DE Tom Strobel
MI DE/LB Mario Ojemudia. Speaking of Mario, he looked impressive at the Rivals Elite Big Man Camp, as highlights just appeared on Youtube:
I'm not sure how many (if any) of the guys he was facing are D-1 or BCS prospects - though I'm guessing not many - but he dominated most every rep shown. Ojemudia is a watchlist member for the Butkus Award.
- OH LB Joe Bolden. He's a on the watchlist for the high school Butkus Award, along with...
- OH LB Kaleb Ringer, and also...
- MI LB Royce Jenkins-Stone, and...
- MI LB James Ross. Five Michigan commits means a whole 10% of the watchlist is headed to Ann Arbor.
- OH S Allen Gant
- MI CB Terry Richardson. We should know after this visit if Michigan's coaches are OK with him taking trips to other schools.
- IL CB Anthony Standifer. Attending, and bringing his 2013 teammate LaQuon Treadwell.
2013 MI QB Shane Morris. Shane, as you may have heard (or even seen) impressed at the Gridiron Kings 7on7 tournament in Florida last weekend. He came in for some fluff from ESPN.
"I have a strong arm," Morris said. "I have an accurate arm as well. I can move in the pocket although I am more of a pro-style quarterback that can run a little bit, too. I bring leadership to Michigan and I want to be the best we can be and bring championships to Michigan."
Morris is also active on the recruiting front. He is working social media and other outlets hard. "I am already working my tail off for [the] 2012 class," Morris said. "I am trying to get the top players in [the] nation to help us win championships. I am hitting up kids every day on Facebook, linemen all across [the] nation. I am looking for the best players and people to come to Michigan."
I'm sure video will surface soon enough, as the event itself appeared on ESPNU.
As you may note, that's the majority of Michigan's 2012 commits (plus a bonus from the 2013 class). The only committed players not confirmed to make it are:
- UT FB Sione Houma
- OH TE AJ Williams. "Not sure" if he's coming.
- TN OL Blake Bars
- CA OL Erik Magnuson
- OH DE Pharaoh Brown
- OH S Jarrod Wilson
- 2012/13 KY S Jeremy Clark. He will try to make it up.
A couple of those guys are maybes who haven't firmly committed one way or the other yet. The rest likely have football two-a-days, other commitments, or no transportation.
That brings us to the category where there may be a bit of action: uncommitted rising seniors.
- OH DE Chris Wormley. He's been maintaining Michigan as his leader and inching toward a decision lately. Might he finally be ready to make a move?
- MI WR Aaron Burbridge. Tom confirmed with commit Devin Funchess that Burbridge is joining him at the event.
- IN DT Sheldon Day. According to Sam Webb this morning, he'll be in attendance.
- MI DT Danny O'Brien
- MO DT Ondre Pipkins
- MO WR Jehu Chesson
- OH WR Monty Madaris
- OH RB Bri'Onte Dunn
There are also a maybe in this group:
- IL OL Jordan Diamond. He's one of the candidates for the final OL spot.
Aside from Wormley, defensive tackle seems to be the most likely position to pick up a new commit, though there's no indication yet that Pipkins or O'Brien is quite ready.
OH DE Adolphus Washington and WR Dwayne Stanford will be playing AAU hoops in Florida, and unable to make it. Last week, their coach told Tom that they probably won't be able to take any more visits until the season rolls around.
You can bet your ass that MI QB Shane Morris wants to convince a healthy group of juniors to join his class (along with 2012 greyshirt Jeremy Clark). A few prospects of interest:
- MI OL Steven Elmer. Morris's main competition for tops in state next year.
MI RB/DL Wyatt Shallman. He was the subject of Sam Webb's most recent recruiting column in the Detroit News, and it sounds like Michigan is in strong position:
"My parents are both crazy Michigan fans," Shallman reported. "It is like a dream come true for them. My mom cried (when Brady Hoke extended a scholarship offer back in May). She's loved Michigan for so long. My mom is crazy fanatical. She loves Bo (Schembechler). She loves everything about Michigan. On our outdoor fridge she has an 'Oh, how I hate Ohio State' sign. My dad went to one of the first Michigan camps back with Bo. His whole claim to fame at the camp was he ran a good route and made a one-handed catch. Bo came up to him and said, 'Good catch son!'"
He also has existing relationships with a couple Michigan commits in Shane Morris and Matt Godin:
"They are both (recruiting for Michigan) little bit, but not too hard because they are getting ready for the season, too."
I wouldn't expect a commitment at the BBQ, as it's explicitly stated that Wyatt's parents want to ensure that he gets a chance to see what other colleges have to offer. On the other hand, if the visit blows him away, who knows? He seems to be taking an open approach to a decision.
- MI LB Jon Reschke
- IL WR LaQuon Treadwell. Tagging along with his teammate, 2012 CB Commit Anthony Standifer.
I would be stunned if any commitment-like substanced happened from any of these guys but Shallman, and even that would be unexpected.