Some thoughts on the Illinois Game
1. The better team won. Illinois’ ability to throw and run was too much for us, and I really left the game impressed with how much Juice Williams developed as a passer. Benn is as good a receiver as we will face this year.
2. Martavious Odoms really impressed me as a kick returner, and I like how he found holes in Illinois’ zone defense.
3. Brandon Graham just keeps zooming up draft boards with his solid play, and we will have to enjoy his skills while we can this year.
4. I would let the backup safeties try to play a little bit, because they cannot be appreciably worse than Brown and Harrison.
5. I understood why Shaw did not play until the second half when I saw him whiff on a blitzer and almost get his QB killed. While Minor may be fumble-prone, he is a good pass blocker.
6. I found the play calling repetitive on first down, and I think that we should throw a few more passes in there.
7. I do not remember Lopata having a game where he consistently kicked the ball so low.
8. This defense needs a geometry lesson, as they continue to take horrible angles in run defense.
9. The kick coverage units were outstanding.
10. I like that Coach Rod stayed with Threet even when he struggled, because that will help his confidence later this year.
11. I know that Fitzgerald plays on special teams, but it would be nice to see him play occasionally on defense, so that he can prepare for next year. Panter and Thompson do not set the world on fire, so why not give the kid a few plays a game?
12. Koger looks like he will be a good player, and I would love to see him get a little more involved in the short passing game.
13. Do we give Illinois’ coaches credit for making adjustments, or does the Michigan staff deserves blame for quarters 2-4? I do not know.
14. Mike Martin ran off the field dragging his arm in the second half. Does anyone know what injury he sustained and how long it will take to heal?
15. I just read in the Detroit News that Stonum was suspended for breaking team rules. Does anyone have any inside information?