I just heard that they offered Brett Favre $20 million to "not" play for them. So let's think about this "payout vs. trade".
If they were to trade him.
1. They don't have to pay him $20 million.
2. The Packers could get a 2nd to 3rd round draft pick for him.
3. He only has 1 (maybe 2) years left, then he is going to re-retire!
With that said the Packers can either:
1) Trade him and get a nice draft pick out of the deal, won't have to pay him, and will maybe play against him in the next two years (depending on who they trade him to).
2) Pay him $20 million not to play, won't get a draft pick, and will not risk the one or so games they would play against him.
If I were the Packers GM this would be an easy decision and Brett would be packing his bags faster than Brett can say "I'm a wrangler man"!