They're the "ORANGE" not the "ORANGEMEN". That was changed because to Irish Catholics the latter sounds the same way "South Carolina Klansmen" sounds to you. To clarify, it's a oft-told myth that the school was named for the right-wing fraternal order. The two actually have nothing to do with each other; the school name came from the school color being orange, kinda like how the Cincinnati Reds were so named because the original pro team wore red socks, but they still sometimes get grouped in among teams with offensive Native American monikers.
The way they picked orange is kinda funny. If you go back and look at the original official colors of a lot of schools, pink was a fashionable choice, however 'cuse had adopted "rose pink and pea green" as theirs. When they took the field against Hamilton College in 1889 the Syracuse fans were derided for, well, let me teambuild that:
So to get everyone to stop pointing and laughing the students said "let's be orange." Good change. It's a good change.
How it works:
- I put up a winnable prize that consists of a desirable good.
- You guess the final scores of the designated game, and put it in the comments, preferably in the format of [M's Score]-[Opponent's Score]. First person to post a particular score has it.
- If you guess either game correctly, we contact you. If not, go to (5)
- The desirable good arrives at the address you give us.
- Non-winners can acquire the same desirable good by trading currency for it.
- Seriously, you don't have to actually guess a basketball score to get this shirt. You can buy it.
About Last Time:
It was 87-85 in one OT, but this one guy pretty much predicted we'd have subs:
It was crazy!
This Week's Game:
#4 seed Michigan versus #4 seed Syracuse. Winner is a basketball game away from the championship.
And the Prize: Three Goggles!
Nothing says "Nothing but nylon!" like a 100% cotton tee. Sometimes when you're on…
Fine print: One entry per user. First user to choose a set of scores wins, determined by the timestamp of your entry (make it easy on me and write your score in digits with a hyphen between them. Deadline for entries is sometime within 24 hours before the start of the game—whenever I can get online in that time and lock the thread. MGoEmployees and Moderators exempt from winning because you can change scores. We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm is not just a shooter. The algorithm always fouls Cody Zeller. The algorithm can’t explain why Big Ten officials think it’s their duty to help Bo Ryan. The algorithm spent 10 years as the Indiana of basketball, if that makes sense. This is not the algorithm. This is close.