landing spot. will be interesting to see how he does.
I see from headlines on Scout that Wayne Lyons is a visitor this weekend. While "google-stalking" for info on the visit, I stumbled on a great article about him. It may have been posted here in the past, but in light of his visit I thought it was worth sharing.
Coaches at 44 schools have offered Wayne Lyons a scholarship
His list includes offers from Alabama, Boston College, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Michigan, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Stanford, Tennessee, UCLA and Wisconsin.
For example, of all the blue-chip high school players who now post details of their recruitment on Twitter, how many also include tweets such as the one Lyons sent out last week? "High school GPA has jumped to a 5.0 on the head! Gotta keep that no. 1 spot! Holding on to the dream -- Class Valedictorian for DHS c/o 2011."
He took calculus as a 10th-grader, is his class president and helped Dillard coach Manny Martin start a mentoring program this past spring.
When it became clear in ninth grade that Lyons would be an excellent football player, Bush simply assumed he'd go to Florida, the school she had attended and the school Lyons' sister currently attends. Then the recruiting mail started pouring in, and Bush began reading up on all the universities.
"His sophomore year, he'll get his bachelor's degree" Dillard's Martin said. "His junior year, he'll be working on his masters."
"I want a school," he said, "where the degree is worth something."
Wants to know:
"How many African-American players have graduated with an engineering degree in the past five years? Year-by-year? Please list their names."
Reading the whole article makes me really want this kid to be a Wolverine. What an incredible role model he could be.
I can't wait to hear about his visit.
This weekly update will be a little sparse. Since there was a bye then an away game, there wasn't much that happened that I haven't reported already. This weekend should be a good one, however, with the Dr. Phillips clan coming to town.
As usual I will post this in a separate diary since the names will change as we get closer to the date. This is the only thing I'm going to say as far as everyone asking about a potential "secret recruit' visiting this weekend. I have confirmed he's coming, and I will let you know who it is when they give me the OK to tell you.
- Safety Roderick Ryles (6'1", 185 lbs, 3 Star): Currently committed to Arkansas, but he has said numerous times that anything can happen. If he likes this visit, I would expect Michigan to be a heavy contender.
- Linebacker Darryl Monore (6'1", 215 lbs, 3 Star): Darryl has not been offered by Michigan, but will be making the trip up this weekend. Currently committed to Washington State, he has said that basically means nothing and it's as soft a commit as you can be.
- Running Back Demetrius Hart (5'8", 190 lbs, 4 Star, Commit): You already know.
- Safety Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix (6'2", 190 lbs, 5 Star): Alabama commit coming up for the second time. I was a little optimistic until I spoke with someone in Florida that I trust. They said Ha'Sean is definitely committed to Alabama, and it would be hard to get him away from that. We'll see what happens.
- Wide Receiver Chris Gallon (6'5", 205 lbs, 3 Star): Chris does not have an offer, although the coaches have told him they're reviewing his film. It seems as though Chris may be a back up plan for Michigan at wide receiver.
- Quarterback Nick Patti (5'10", 180 lbs, 2012 Recruit): Nick has consistently said that Michigan is one of his favorites.
5'11", 205 lbs.
Will Mahone was in Ann Arbor this year to watch a Michigan game already, and this week traveled to Pennsylvania to see the Penn State game. He got a two for one, as he got to check out both the Lions and Wolverines offense.
It's great to have a quarterback like Denard, we have a versatile quarterback, too, so that's good. (Michigan's) running back (Vincent) Smith looks like he's good too. They had a rough game, but they made a little comeback too.
Mahone plays in a spread offense now that uses a lot of read options, much like Michigan. The new recruiting rules have slowed down offers, but Will is still hearing from a good amount of big time schools.
Alabama, Penn State, Oregon, Virginia, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Michigan and Notre Dame are all still sending letters. I have an offer from Cincinnati, too.
While running back may not be a big priority for Michigan in the 2012 class, Mahone would be a good option.
Here's the list of recruits I have confirmed coming in for the Iowa game. As always, this list will have names added and dropped as it gets closer to game day. I'm going out of town from Thursday until Monday though, so there won't be much if anything from me until Monday. Please refrain from making the, "Yeah, but what about defensive recruits?!" comments. Just because there aren't many visiting for this game doesn't mean Michigan isn't recruiting them; they are.
- DT Timmy Jernigan - 6'2", 275 lbs, 4 Star, Lake City, Florida
- TE Drew Owens - 6'5", 225 lbs, 3 Star, Charlotte, North Carolina
- DB Dallas Crawford - 5'10", 185 lbs, 3 Star, Fort Myers, Florida
- WR Sammy Watkins - 6'1", 180 lbs, 4 Star, Fort Myers, Florida
- WR Hakeem Flowers - 6'2", 175 lbs, 3 Star, Greenville, South Carolina
- WR Quinta Funderburk - 6'5", 204 lbs, 3 Star, Chesapeake, Virginia
- QB Kevin Sousa - 6'3", 210 lbs, 3 Star, Lake Nona, Florida (Commit)
- DE Chris Wormley - 6'4", 255 lbs, Toledo, Ohio
- RB Will Mahone - 5'11", 205 lbs, Austintown, Ohio (He confirmed he will be there)
- DB Luc Haupt - 6'0", 180 lbs, Austintown, Ohio
- DB Chris Davis - 5'10", 183 lbs, Austintown, Ohio
- QB Demitrious Davis - 5'10", 183 lbs, Austintown, Ohio
There will be more 2012 kids added to the list soon. I'm still trying to confirm some, so keep checking back later tonight and tomorrow.
Here's a list of recruits that will be on hand for the Michigan State game this weekend. There are some key visitors this weekend, and next weekend might actually be a bigger game for recruiting. As always this list will grow and shrink as changes happen. I had a request to add star rankings next to players listed, so all rankings will be according to Rivals. Continue to check back here for more updates as the come:
- Devondrick Nealy - (5'10", 175 lbs/ Slot Receiver/ Jefferson County, FL/ 3 Star)
- Marquise Williams - (6'3", 210 lbs/ Quarterback/ Mallard Creek, NC/ 3 Star)
- Jack Miller - Michigan commit
- Kellen Jones - Michigan commit
- Jake Fisher - Michigan commit
- James Elliott - (6'4", 305 lbs/ Offensive Line/ Pensacola, FL/ 3 Star) He'll be back in December as well. He's waiting for a committable offer. If he gets it, expect him to commit.
- Anthony Zettel - (6'4", 250 lbs/ Defensive/Offensive Line/ Ogemaw, MI/ 4 Star)
- Kishon Wilcher - (5'6", 154 lbs/ Cornerback/ Cass Tech, MI/ 3 Star)
- Cardale Jones - (6'5", 217 lbs/ Quarterback/ Glenville, OH/ 3 Star)
- Shan Wynn - (5'7", 148 lbs/ Wide Receiver/ Glenville, OH/ 3 Star)
- Damon Knox - (6'5", 265 lbs/ Defensive end/ Muskegon, MI/ 3 Star)
- Royce Jenkins-Stone - (6'2", 215 lbs/ Linebacker/ Cass Tech, MI)
- Terry Richardson - (5'9", 160 lbs/ Cornerback/ Cass Tech, MI)
- Matt Godin - (6'5", 253 lbs/ Defensive End/Tackle/ Detroit Catholic Central)
- Brian Blackburn - (6'5", 197 lbs/ Quarterback/ Crockett, Mi)
- Danny O'Brien - (6'3", 278 lbs/ Defensive Tackle/ Flint, Mi) Will only be there for the first half, because he has homecoming.
- Hunter Matt - (6'2", 187 lbs/ Linebacker/ Roosevelt, MI)
- Corey Smith - (6'0", 165 lbs/ Wide Receiver/ Buchtel, OH)
- Juwan Lewis - (5'11", 200 lbs/ Running Back/ Muskegon, MI)
We're looking at taking a group up to Madison for the game and are wondering where is a good place to sit at Camp Randall? We're rather sit with Michigan people than go for better seats with Badgers. Any advice from the good folk of the Board?