this week in unintentionally grim-sounding recruiting headlines
- Overall, the B1G posted a record of 20-28 in these games (especially interesting if I could find the number of games the B1G was the underdog ... 20-28 as a dog is a pretty good record)
- Avg score 24.6 - 29.4 / avg winning margin 6 pts / avg losing margin 13 pts
- Biggest offenders (Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue ... combined 0-5, avg 24 pt losses)
- Worst matchups: USC (0-5, avg. 19 pt losses), Alabama (42 pt win over Sparty, 2012), Ok St (44 pt drubbing of Purdue last year). Houston over Penn St (16 pt loss) and Miss St over Rich Rod's 2011 squad also hurt overall average
- ohio state's two Nat'l Champ game appearances also hurt, probably the most in terms of national perception (0-2, 21 pt avg loss)
Real fun with numbers? Remove 2012 Alabama/MSU, all Rose Bowls, and all Nebraska/Purdue games? (2-12 in those games, outscored by 16 ppg)
- B1G is 19-15 in January bowl games !!!
- Against the SEC (games all in Florida, right?) the B1G is 13-14. Their average win is by just over 5 points, but average loss is by almost 13 points
- The B1G's failures in the Rose Bowl are well documented (1-8 over this strech). They have been outscored by only 9 points (average) in those games. Considering opponents (USC dynasty, Texas, etc) and location (USC's backyard), that's not as terrible as it sounds.
- B1G went 2-12 vs Pac 10/12 and Big 12 combined
|Conference||No of Games||B1G Avg Score||Opp Avg Score|
|Team (record)||Win Pct||Scoring Margin|
|ohio state (5-4)||.556||-1|
|Penn St (3-3)||.500||
|Michigan St (2-2)||.500||-15|