"The University of Illinois is also in turmoil. The university sports an Interim Chancellor, an Interim Athletic Director, and an Interim Football Coach; the game will be played at Soldier Field, making this an Illini Interim Home Game."
ESPN Insider article on Embiid and how his foot injury impacts the draft. Relevant part is at the bottom where Ford lists the players invited to the green room for the draft. This is the first I've seen on what players were invited, and I know from some of Nik's interviews that he was hoping to be there. Very cool for him indeed. Assuming he accepts the invite, here's hoping for two straight years of seeing one of ours putting on a random NBA team's hat and holdling up a jersey. Here's my hope for his new uni...
While tracking down the Brady Hoke interview about Jabrill Peppers, I noticed a Nik Stauskas interview posted a couple of days ago. It's a little longer but it's worth viewing.
Great kid. The funniest thing is he doesn't have his driver's license yet. He said he needs to work on it but hasn't had time.
Good article talking about Nik's ascendance from Canadian kid to potential lottery pick. There were quite a few interesting facts about him that I have not heard/read before:
- Watched tape of Steph Curry while at Michigan to learn techniques for ball handling
- He is defying his genes as his Father is only 6' and a computer programmer, as is his brother
- Became a basketball fan at 7 when Toronto got the Raptors
- "When he was 10, Nik was called down to the court during an open practice at Air Canada Centre and got to play two-on-two against Carter, surprising his idol by swishing a three."
- At age 12 his Father remade his shot to the near perfection we enjoyed
I guess I shouldn't be surprised but by NBA draft outlets he is being compared to Jason Kapono and Kyle Korver. These are absurd comparisons that are purely based on skin color because he is much more athletic. Also something that is often overlooked in his shooting prowess is his ability to shoot 3's BOTH off the dribble as well as in catch and shoot situations. Most players, even our beloved Trey Burke, have only shown the ability to do one of those very well, but not both. Nik is going to be an excellent scorer in the NBA, is smart enough to function in an NBA defensive scheme, and will quickly become a top SG (the weakest position group) in short order.
Starts about about 27:24
Some key points:
- Biggest reason for improvement was his offseason first time weightlifting
- Loves playing on the road and to the crowd
- Scouts like him but see him as confident borderline cocky but he's not worried about it
- Got a lot more possessions to show off his handle this year
- Kentucky loss really hurt for a few days
- Trey Burke is the best player on Michigan the past 2 years
Saw this on my timeline this morning:
Stauskas: he and Steph Curry had shooting match set up for his Mississauga backyard for last year, TSN would televise. NCAA rules nixed it.— Mark Snyder (@Mark__Snyder) May 16, 2014
Fuck the NCAA.
Nik did pretty well throwing the ball. A behind the scenes video leading up to his pitch.