So rivals Seattle and Portland played in some tournament.
Seattle had a dude dismissed with a second yellow. Then another guy was shown a straight red for an elbow.
This Dempsey did this (see embed below):
Seattle finished the game with 7 men (a couple injuries and all subs used).
"MLS is a joke" okay, got that out of way. We all realize the quality of play isn't as good as the big European leagues but if nothing else, the games can be very exciting. Some big names have arrived (Kaka, Villa, Gerrard, etc.) and some have left (Henry, Donovan). More could come, i.e. Drogba, Chicharito, Xavi, van der Vaart, Balotelli????
My team in the East is Toronto. I think Giovinco will be transformative for them and how they got him I have no idea. Linking with Bradley will be awesome to see and will revive Altidore's career. Obviously the Revs look good too as they have a solid team. On paper, both expansion teams look solid and were constructed really well. If NYCFC gels, they could win it, really, they have good players at almost every position. Columbus will be good. The East is far more interesting though the West has the two best teams.
In the West , Sounders or Galaxy?
I’m going to make this a monthly update, I think. Let me know what I missed, or if you have any more insight that I can add.
October Notes: Darius Morris waived by Portland
Trey Burke (2011-13) | Jazz, Starting PG
- For the first three games of the year, Burke is shooting 34.9% from the field (13.3% on 3-pointers). 1.88 AST/TO ratio, -1.3 NetRtg, and 4.8 PIE.
Jamal Crawford (1999-2000) | Clippers, Backup G
- In the first 2 games of the year, Crawford is shooting 38.5 on field goals (31.3 3P%), and has hit 13/14 free throws. 2.33 AST/TO, 15.8 NetRtg, and 17.2 PIE.
Tim Hardaway Jr. (2010-13) | Knicks, Backup G
- Through 2 games, Hardaway has a NetRtg of -48.1 and PIE of -1.1.
Nik Stauskas (2012-14) | Kings, Backup G
- In 2 games, Stauskas has a -18.3 NetRtg and -4.5 PIE.
Glenn Robinson III (2012-14) | Timberwolves, Backup SF
- Made final roster, but listed as inactive.
Mitch McGary (2012-14) | Thunder, Injured PF
- Out for approximately 3 more weeks with a fractured foot.
Mike Brown (2004-05) | Sharks, RW
- Played in two games so far, only statistic is 7 PIM.
Mike Cammalleri (2000-02) | Devils, LW
- 5 goals, 2 assists, +2, and 8 PIM in 8 games.
Andrew Cogliano (2006-07) | Ducks, C
- 1 goal (SHG), 3 assists, and 4 PIM in 13 games.
Luke Glendening (2009-13) | Red Wings, C
- 1 goal and 6 PIM in 11 games.
Carl Hagelin (2008-11) | Rangers, F
- 2 goals, 1 assist, and 6 PIM in 10 games.
Matt Hunwick (2004-07) | Rangers, D
- 2 assists and 4 PIM in 8 games.
Jack Johnson (2006-07) | Blue Jackets, D
- 5 assists, -9 +/-, and 8 PIM in 11 games.
Jon Merrill (2011-13) | Devils, D
- 1 goal (PPG), 3 assists, and 8 PIM in 11 games.
Al Montoya (2003-05) | Panthers, G
- Given up 1 goal on 38 shots in 2 games.
David Moss (2002-05) | Coyotes, LW
- 1 assist, -6 +/-, and 4 PIM in 6 games.
Eric Nystrom (2002-05) | Predators, LW
- 2 goals, 2 assists, 4 PIM in 11 games.
Max Pacioretty (2008) | Canadiens, LW
- 5 goals, 4 assists, +7 +/-, and 10 PIM in 12 games.
Chris Summers (2007-10) | Coyotes, D
- 1 assist, -2 +/-, and 2 PIM in 5 games.
Jacob Trouba (2013) | Jets, D
- 1 goal, -2 +/-, and 4 PIM in 12 games.
American Hockey League
East Coast Hockey League
Rich Hill (2000-02) | Yankees, LHP
- Pitched in 16 games as a reliever for a total of 5.1 innings. 3.38 ERA, 2.44 WHIP, and 9/6 SO/BB ration.
- Was signed by Yankees on July 17th.
Zach Putnam (2006-08) | White Sox, RHP
- Appeared in 49 relief appearences, 5 wins and 2 losses, with 6 saves. 1.98 (!) ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 46 SO vs. 20 BB, and 2 HRs.
Justin Meram (2009-10) | Columbus Crew, Forward
- Scored a big goal in a playoff game this week.
- Played in 32 games this year (starting 19). Scored 8 goals on 21 SOG, with 4 assists.
- Has 13 goals in 90 games (43 starts) for the Crew in the past 4 years.
Soony Saad (2009-10) | Sporting Kansas City and Lebanese National Team, Forward
- Scored 3 goals with 1 assist in 22 games (9 starts) this year.
- In the last 4 years with Sporting KC, Saad has 8 goals and 6 assists in 58 games (26 starts).
Kofi Opare (2009-12) DC United, Defender
- Traded from LA Galaxy on July 29th.
- Played in 6 games with LA this year, starting 5, but did not play a game with DC.
MLS Cup Final Tonight!
Who ya got? Is this is it for Becks/Juninho?
Personally if Davis doesn't play, I really can't see Galaxy losing; and to be honest I think it's great for MLS and US soccer to have a dominant, recognizable team. I really don't think Becks is coming back, but I'm hoping Keane can be all like "C'MON MAN!!!" and talk him into staying.
I know there's alot of soccer fans on this board but i don't know how many watch MLS. Anyways, cheers and enjoy the game!
Sporting Kansas City won the rights to UM standout Soony Saad today. As someone who works for Sporting, this is very exciting.
Gotta start saving up for my new jersey!