further adventures in Jed York being unsuited for his position
michigan - notre dame night game
Some takeaways from the first night game against Notre Dame
Now that I've taken off my maize and blue night vision goggles - here are some takeaways.
1) Denard is an unpredicatable passer - He made some brilliant throws and some downright ugly throws. While his arm strength isn't in question - his deep ball accuracy is.
2) We won because of risky plays - At the end of the day - most of our yardage came through risky plays. Denard lofts the ball and hopes the receiver gets it. Some of these were lucky, no matter how we construe it.
3) Our receivers make Denard look good (and bad) - One point which irked me was that our receivers dropped some very catchable balls. On the other hand, they also made some fantastic catches. Much like Denard's passing ability - receiving consistently is something we work on.
4) Our rushing game is a serious question mark - When we play Big Ten opponents Denard can't be expected to do all the lifting. Our rush attack from RB's needs serious work. If Fitz is injured - our other backs look ineffective.
5) We've turned a leaf on turnovers - Overall our ball security has been good (not counting Hopkins fumble). We've also made strides of improvement in forcing turnovers. This comes from Mattison's gametime adjustments - something the other Greg wasn't capable of
6) Our rush defense may become a strength - After the first half - our rush defense was markedly better. Mike Martin, BWC all seemed to step up and snuff out any ND rush attacks. This is a good sign.
7) Hawthorne may be the next Demens - Like last season when Demens upstaged Ezeh, this year Hawthorne may have upstaged Herron/ Jones. Kid has some skill and should solidify his starting position with the performance last night.
Not sure if this is thread worthy, but I heard the line moved from ND -3.5 earlier today to where it is currently.
IMO, this is the perfect situation.
ND lost last week, which I was thrilled about.
But they are still the favored team coming into the Big House and a particularly hostile environment.
The pressure is on ND more than ever now, considering they are still favored, can't afford to go 0-2, don't want to drop 3 in a row to us, and have a coach that may murder them in their sleep if they make a mistake.
Michigan on the other hand has the home-field advantage and can continue to feel like they aren't getting any respect. I'm really hoping that they come out and play fast and loose on Saturday.
I think the game will come down to whoever makes the fewest big mistakes. And hopefully all of these intangibles will result in that team being Michigan.
Edit: What's the over-under on the price to park on grass lots of the private homes surrounding the stadium for the night game?
Sorry all. My head was somewhere dark and stinky when I added my comment. I don't do that on here. I knew better and deserved the remarks. A better try next time.
This is from Maize-n-brew but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on here amidst all the panic...rule 1-4-4-f states that legal uniforms must have "Clearly visible, permanent Arabic numerals on one jersey at least 8 and 10 inches in height front and back, respectively, of a color in distinct contrast with the jersey."
Since those...unusual...prototypes do not have a number nor room for an 8" number on the front, they cannot be the ones we will wear in the game, can they?