After the recent debacle (see Sticky: IMPORTANT: Check Yourself -- above), I think Brian should increase the threshold for creating new Forum Topics/Diaries to 200 MGoPoints.
1) A major reason for the threshold is to prevent a Troll from creating an ID and immediately post a new thread only meant to create a flame war. But, it is easy to post 5-10 comments in an hour. Therefore, it only takes 2-4 hours to reach the threshold and post their garbage. A 200 point threshold would increase this to 20-40 hours.
2) As a deterrent to posting totally unacceptable comments (see same reference above), the current threshold is simply a slap on the wrist. Once banned, it is possible for the banned person to get back on. Again, within 2-4 hours, they are back in business. If it would take 20-40 hours, the deterrent is much stronger.
3) The current threshold can be reached so quickly that it is virtually impossible to recognize that a new user is probably a Troll until it is too late. If it took longer, it may be possible to alert Brian of potential problems with new users.
BTW, this does not limit anyone's ability to join MGoBlog and start posting comments immediately.
And, I am not suggesting this be used for stupid/inane comments. The Up/Down Vote is used to indicate these.
So in a fit of thought I was struck that certain traditions have spring up here in the mgoblog-iverse, mostly relating to multimedia files and their relation to events. These relations and responses sprung up organically and now have taken root as a quasi rule of law, much like the development of English common law:
- The Muppets Temptation and Hawaiian War Chant have now been enshrined as being the sole and legitimate celebratory response to big wins for our boys/ladies in maize & blue.
- Coaching searches are accompanied by real time flight tracking graphics
- and of course, whenever Tater appears, dex will follow with all innocent posters relegated to ashes of dust in the subsequent flaming
So I pose the question, what other multimedia events / automatic responses are cued by events in the real world? What is the proper protocol for a replaying of the "Peanut Butter Jelly" song? Will Brian as our Dear Leader need to issue proclamations? Will a coalition of posters, diaryists, and fellow bloggers force Brian to accede to a Magna Carta of sorts ensuring the proper use and distribution of T Lehman flag tie photos? I ask so as to be educated in the political thought of the mgoblog world and not be sent to the beheading station to have my innards spilt amongst mcfarlain's remains.....
Obviously, I expect a rousing diatribe on Marxist-Leninist thought by the WLA, but outright Marxism is soooo 2007... or is it?