Mason NEEDS this, Pistons, after all you've put him through
Dave Brandon and Mark Hollis have set the date for Round 2 of their (now annual?) golf match for July 24 at a to-be-determined course in Ann Arbor. Last year Hollis' team won in Lansing at Eagle Eye when Hollis' partner closed out the match on the first playoff hole.
I think this is a pretty neat thing they have going on and it seems like they will continue to do it each spring. I'd bet Brandon has been working on his game and hopefully he and whoever he chooses to play with this year can even the score.
Wishes he tweeted message to all student athletes.
Lets all laugh at Sparty some more.
So after hearing about MSU's Mark Hollis complaining at MSED about his apparent lack of budget, it was surprising to see this article in this week's issue of SBJ
In a feature story on college atheltics (which is very interesting from the 'brand' perspective...), SBJ lays out the AD budgets for all schools in major conferences. Of note is the big ten, where Michigan ranks second behind only Ohio State.
2012 Big Ten AD Budgets
1.) Ohio State - 126.5 Million
2) Michigan - 109.8 Million
3) Penn State - 92.0 Million
4) Wisconsin - 88.1 Million
5) Nebraska - 79.1 Million
6) Michigan State - 78.8 Million
7) Minnesota - 78.6 Million
8) Iowa - 74.9 Million
9) Illinois - 70.2 Million
10) Purdue - 68.7 Million
11) Indiana - 61.5 Million
12) Northwestern - N/A
So Mr. Hollis does in fact have at least half of UM's AD budget (though its still a fairly significant gap).
Other interseting takeaways:
- Michigan's AD budget growth over the three year period (FY2010 - FY2012) was 29.8% (84.6 Million to 109.8 Million), which does prove that the big house renovations are really paying off
- Michigan's AD budget is the third largest in the country, behind only Texas (153.5 Million!), and Ohio State (126.5 Million).
- Every school in the Big Ten has experienced posive budget growth over the three year period.
Lastly, here's a great article on the success of branding in college athletics, which is sure to piss everyone off.