this guy evidently hired to work for AD
I traveled down to Canton, Ohio yesterday to check out the game between GlenOak and Firestone, and spent my time observing a few key players. I'm sure everybody is aware of Bri'onte Dunn on GlenOak, but there were a few more high level players on the field. Below are my notes on a few of them.
2012, RB , # 25 ,Committed to Ohio State
Pros: As the star of GlenOak, there are going to be some high expectations for Bri'onte this year and he didn't disapoint in this game. Bri'onte is a big, strong runningback and certainly looks the part as a downhill runner who makes his living going between the tackles. He has good quickness and sees the hole well, getting through it with a good burst. Once he gets into the second layer he shows good vision and spots the open space to the left or right. He's a tough and violent runner, often delivering a blow to the first guy that gets to him. He's a tough guy to bring down, rarely being tackled by the first guy. He keeps his feet moving and made a few good plays after breaking an early tackle.
Cons: There didn't appear to be many flaws in his game, but he's definitely not perfect. He lacks elite speed. He was unable to gain the corner on a few pitches and never broke any long runs. He's not slow, but he's no burner out there. I was also a little concerned about his hands. I think he dropped two pitches and fumbled another. He was not thrown to from what I can recall, but he did put the ball on the ground once or twice.
Overall: Bri'onte had a very good game. I believe he ended up at around 140 yards on about 25 carries in three quarters (Numbers are not exact). GlenOak dominated Firestone and they had the luxury of sitting Bri'onte and getting some other guys playing time. Ohio State is getting a good one, assuming he sticks.
(Here's a shitty video of a kick return by Bri'onte)
2013 WR, #8
Pros: Kevin is a big time wide receiver who should get interest from some good programs. The current word on the street is that he is a heavy OSU lean, and he looked like he had that kind of potential. He's got good size and looked every bit of his listed 6'4. He displayed good speed on a few routes and came down with a great catch on a long ball over the middle. This catch in particular was over the shoulder with a defender right on him and it required him to make a good adjustment to the ball. He also displayed tough side and made a few good blocks on running plays.
Cons: He disappeared for long stretches of the game. This was probably caused by his QB to an extent, who wasn't very good.
Overall: This was short because I didn't see him make a lot of catches. My impression was mostly based on a few routes that didn't materialize into anything and that one good catch.He has the physical abilities to be a good one and should do better as the season progresses and he sees more balls thrown to him.
(A few photos below. Dunn is #25, Gladney is #8. Kinda hard to see)
Other Guys To Keep an Eye On / Guys Who Impressed Me:
1. 2012 QB Christian Manns: He looked bigger than his listed 5'10 183 lbs. He displayed a good arm and even made a few good runs on QB draws. Starting quarterback Reid Worstell did not play.
2. 2013 OL Steve Mathie: He looked like the biggest kid out there at 6'4 and 275 lbs. Glenoak ran to his side quite a bit and had success doing it. I didn't focus on him, but there were no obvious break-downs in blocking. He should be a big time prospect and already reports an offer from UCLA.
3. 2012 WR Lunden Butler: He made a few good touchdown catches. 6'0 195 lbs
4. 2012 WR Jordan Autrey: This kid is a burner. He was a real home run threat and took it to the house.He's diminutive though at 5'6, 145 lbs.
5. 2012 WR/LB DaShawn Hall: Made a few great plays on both sides of the ball. 6'0 210 lbs.
1. Something Shaw: I don't have any information on him besides he's number 32, but he made some good plays as a ? (TE, FB, RB, WR?). and is a big, bruising kid.
I plan on catching a few games tomorrow (St. Edwards vs Glenville and Medina vs Mayfield) and hope to continue this throughout the season so I would appreciate any comments, things you like, things you don't like, requests etc. Feel free to ask any questions below and I'll try to answer them.
Feel free to follow me on Twitter @NStank. I might do some live tweeting or whatever.