so much for that
I spoke with Demetrius' mom today, and she cleared a few things up for me. There was a rumor/post whatever you want to call it that had said Demetrius wasn't sure about his commitment, and that he was "working on it."
There was a slight mix up with Demetrius' enrollment with Michigan, but it has been cleared up. That was the issue, it wasn't that anyone was recruiting him harder, or anything along those lines. Everything has been straightened out, and his mom says Demetrius will be at Michigan in January.
2012 QB Nick Patti told me tonight that the Dr. Phillips visit that was planned this week has been postponed. They said the game time is too early, and they can't make it. They're in the process of rescheduling right now.
This weekly update will be a little sparse. Since there was a bye then an away game, there wasn't much that happened that I haven't reported already. This weekend should be a good one, however, with the Dr. Phillips clan coming to town.
As usual I will post this in a separate diary since the names will change as we get closer to the date. This is the only thing I'm going to say as far as everyone asking about a potential "secret recruit' visiting this weekend. I have confirmed he's coming, and I will let you know who it is when they give me the OK to tell you.
- Safety Roderick Ryles (6'1", 185 lbs, 3 Star): Currently committed to Arkansas, but he has said numerous times that anything can happen. If he likes this visit, I would expect Michigan to be a heavy contender.
- Linebacker Darryl Monore (6'1", 215 lbs, 3 Star): Darryl has not been offered by Michigan, but will be making the trip up this weekend. Currently committed to Washington State, he has said that basically means nothing and it's as soft a commit as you can be.
- Running Back Demetrius Hart (5'8", 190 lbs, 4 Star, Commit): You already know.
- Safety Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix (6'2", 190 lbs, 5 Star): Alabama commit coming up for the second time. I was a little optimistic until I spoke with someone in Florida that I trust. They said Ha'Sean is definitely committed to Alabama, and it would be hard to get him away from that. We'll see what happens.
- Wide Receiver Chris Gallon (6'5", 205 lbs, 3 Star): Chris does not have an offer, although the coaches have told him they're reviewing his film. It seems as though Chris may be a back up plan for Michigan at wide receiver.
- Quarterback Nick Patti (5'10", 180 lbs, 2012 Recruit): Nick has consistently said that Michigan is one of his favorites.
5'11", 205 lbs.
Will Mahone was in Ann Arbor this year to watch a Michigan game already, and this week traveled to Pennsylvania to see the Penn State game. He got a two for one, as he got to check out both the Lions and Wolverines offense.
It's great to have a quarterback like Denard, we have a versatile quarterback, too, so that's good. (Michigan's) running back (Vincent) Smith looks like he's good too. They had a rough game, but they made a little comeback too.
Mahone plays in a spread offense now that uses a lot of read options, much like Michigan. The new recruiting rules have slowed down offers, but Will is still hearing from a good amount of big time schools.
Alabama, Penn State, Oregon, Virginia, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Michigan and Notre Dame are all still sending letters. I have an offer from Cincinnati, too.
While running back may not be a big priority for Michigan in the 2012 class, Mahone would be a good option.
ESPN.com's Corey Long has written an article with extensive quotes from Dee Hart. Included are his impressions of Michigan, the effect or non-effect of RichRod's status, his view of DRob, and Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix's status. As previously reported, Hart will visit Ann Arbor for the Wisconsin game.
"Honestly it was a little close at first between Michigan and Alabama, but after a while I knew where I wanted to go."
"The Michigan fans are such friendly people, they make you feel comfortable and calm. They want you to enjoy the Michigan experience and take it all in. And the coaches are the same way. They wanted us to be around the team and experience everything first hand."
"I liked Michigan either way and if [Coach Rodriguez] were to leave it wouldn't affect me because I think I can play in any offensive system. So it really wasn't my concern. That being said I wanted to make sure everything came together. He's winning ball games right now and the future looks good so it's coming together."
There's much more there, so have at it.
I spoke with Demetrius today and there's been a slight change with his announcement. He and teammate LaQuentin Smith will be announcing together after their game on Friday.
The game should end around 9:30pm EST. Demetrius will be telling the coaches from each school what his decision is tomorrow morning as well.
I couldn't say anything about this before, apparently it's ok to be in the public now, Demetrius has eliminated Auburn. This Orlando Sentinel article says he's down to Alabama and Michigan.
I was told almost immediately after his visit to Auburn that he knew that wasn't the school for him. His uncle said it was a 7 out of 10, and Demetrius just didn't feel like it was the right place. So Friday, between Alabama and Michigan.
**EDIT** Demetrius sent me a text tonight announcing that there will be a press conference at Dr. Phillips High School at noon on Friday.