I GET IT
Brian Kelly is a red Oompa Loompa
I really enjoyed this piece, especially when the author describes Brian Kelly as "a very good football coach who hasn't yet gotten a handle on the larger burden of the job, whose red-faced sideline tirades against his players have only diminshed his stature". That was one of the most spot-on descriptions I've read.
What do you all think?
As of late, I've been perusing some ND forums, in anticipation of doing some hopefully regular updates about ND, MSU, and Ohio this off-season. I figure I'd share a couple things that I've found out so far.
1) The QB battle. This battle is fairly complex as QB battles go. It seems that most Domers want Everett Golson to start, but that not many think he will. Most of them think that it's down to Tommy Rees and Andrew Hendrix, with Rees more likely to return as a starter. However, they think that ND will show more of a 2 QB offense so that Rees and Hendrix will be sharing a lot of time. They also believe that Golson will likely start to make more appearances as the season drags on. Gunner Kiel is very likely to redshirt this year.
Some more notes about each QB:
Tommy Rees: Has the best understanding of the offense; Excels at short, quick throws; Lacks arm strength for downfield throws and accuracy; Not very mobile
Andrew Hendrix: 2nd best understanding of offense; Stronger than Rees; Mobile; Accuracy issues
Everett Golson: Mobile; Lacks a concrete understanding of the offense; Strongest arm; Biggest accuracy issues
Gunner Kiel; Freshman; Lacks understanding of the offense
2) Aaron Lynch is back on campus. This is disaster averted for ND, he's easily the #2 or #3 player on that team and the #2 player on defense. The situation seemed to be one of homsickness and the Domer's were 50-50 on his returning.
3) Theo Riddick is moving back to RB. He was out in the slot last year, where he did decently.
4) ND is getting field turf. They think that this might be the reason why Kelly's offense hasn't taken hold yet. Apparently grass slowed down all of ND's speedy athletes and that's why they lost games. Never mind the opponents played on the same field and will get to play on the turf too. Denard Robinson says: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_xePqfTAi8
5) ND fans are delusional. Seriously delusional. I've seen them say they're going to win a National Championship this year, that Hoke and Co. are obviously paying recruits, that our recruiting class isn't really that good compared to ND's, that at least 4 or 5 of our commits will flip to ND, and it just goes on and on. I was expecting some semblance of sanity from ND fans, but dear God, they're hopeless.
I will be going into more detail in future posts so if you guys have any suggestions or areas you want me to focus on, i.e their recruiting, their defense, their offense, a certain position group, etc., let me know.