"The University of Illinois is also in turmoil. The university sports an Interim Chancellor, an Interim Athletic Director, and an Interim Football Coach; the game will be played at Soldier Field, making this an Illini Interim Home Game."
2013 NHL Free Agency
NHL.com has a list of the Top 25 remaining free agents, and it got me thinking, do the wings persure any of these guys?
What are your thoughts? Should the Wings be done for the offseason, sign another Free Agent or two, or are you calling for a blockbuster trade (i.e. Boston trading Seguin to Dallas)?
1. I would like to get Brunner back on the team. I think he got his whits back about him late in the season last year, and will push to be a top 6 forward on this team.
2. Brad Boyes is a name that jumps out at me. I love his playing style, and he put up 35 points last year on a line with Tavares. I think he could help the wings on the top two lines in scoring and in the physical dept as well. Personally, any Ex-Blues player is welcome on my team. Those "Pesky Blues" have been a thorn in the Wings side for years. I like the type of players that team puts on the ice, and how those guys play the game. Boyes is no exception.
3.Other names that intrigue me are Nik Antropov and Simon Gagne. They are older and coming off injuries, but if they were to have a healthy season, either one could contribute to make this team better.
4. Whatever they do, please do not bring back Cleary!
5. If we don't sign anyone, we need to get young in a hurry. Bring up some kids before they are ready if need be. From what I hear, the likes of Farraro, Jurco, & Riley "the Drunken Teletubby" Sheahan are a year, to a year and a half away. I think bringing a kid up early could speed up the process. Spell them with the likes of Eaves and Miller, and get them some experience in the League.
6. I don't think we should go defense. That is all.
7. PIPEDREAM!!!! Trade everything for Stamkos!! And while we are at it, trade Ken Holland for Yzerman too. That would be a great way to spice up this new-divisional rivalry with Tampa.
Obligatory Hockey Meme
At least we aren't going to have this happen too often anymore...
Today is the day that teams are allowed to offer contracts to Unrestricted and Restricted Free Agents.
I'm a huge Detroit Red Wings fan and this is my list of players I think Detroit is in on:
Current Red Wings:
1. Brunner - they need to work out a deal and get him locked up for another 2-4 years. I'm hoping its around a $2.5 M cap hit.
2. Dan Cleary - I wish they would cut ties with him, but I don't see Holland letting him go. I just pray Cleary doesn't make more than $3 M per season.
3. Filpulla - I think he's long gone, but if he gets a rude awakening with offers from other teams then I'd love to see him back in the Winged Wheel for $4 M over 2 or 3 years.
1. Stephen Weiss - he's a very good centerman that has produced a ton for Florida during his career. He would be great as a 2nd line center and would allow Detroit to put Datsyuk and Zetterberg together on the top line.
2. Mikhail Grabovski - he can play center and wing. He's also a great skater that has a lot of talent. He's also a good friend of Datsyuk and played on his line during the lockout in the KHL. I think he'd be a great fit in Detroit and is immaturity would be squashed if he had Datsyuk as his Russian mentor.
3. Mike Ribeiro - talented playmaker that is getting towards the outskirts of his prime. He's not great defensively and he's had some character issues in the past, but I wouldn't mind Detroit taking a flyer on him for a year or 2.
4. Daniel Alfreddson - there is no way he leaves Ottawa is there? He's out of his prime and very close to retirement, but he still has something left in the tank. He would be a good 2nd line player that could help Detroit out on the PP with that right handed shot.