Here's a few updates from tonight:
- OH LB Antonio Poole JR has not been offered yet, but has been in contact with the coaches. He told me tonight that if MIchigan offers, there is a chance that he will commit. Here's a link to his highlight video.
- NJ ATH Damiere Byrd and LB Antoine Pozniak will be coming up for the spring game. They're coming with the Top Prospects Family, which was created by Je'Ron Stokes' father. Pozniak's highlight video is here.
Antoine is hoping for an offer sometime after the spring game, but he might need to camp in the summer time to show himself off in person. He says he puts on weight really easily, and weighed 165 as a freshman, and is now a little over 200. His coach is actually thinking about using him as a "Taylor Mays" type strong safety this year (his words, not mine).
- Klein Oak DE Nathan Hughes has around 24 offer so far, including Michigan. He hasn't really narrowed his list down yet, but he said Michigan is definitely among the top 10. Distance is a factor in visiting, so Michigan might be used as an official visit. Hughes is 6-foot-6, and around 260-pounds. His film is right here.
I've added some more updates to the Spring Game Visitors List, too, so check that out.
I'm going to post this here, so there's no confusion. I also posted it in the spring game visitors diary.
LB Kris Frost is not coming to Michigan's spring game after all. He is going to Auburn's spring game instead, but he wanted to be clear that he didn't choose Auburn's over Michigan's. It was an issue of money. His family tried to buy plane tickets too late, and couldn't afford them right now.
Auburn is only a 6 hour drive, so he figured he might as well make it to something. He said he's also going to be visiting South Carolina, Chapel Hill, and ECU.
His family is going to reschedule the trip, and find another time that works for them. Whatever reports that were saying he was picking Auburn over Michigan are wrong. He was very clear about that.
- I talked to FL TE Jeff Heuerman recently about Michigan. Jeff's dad was an Academic All American on the Michigan basketball team back in the day. He actually grew up around Ann Arbor, and played hockey there as well, so he's familiar with the campus and environment.
There has been reports that Heuerman is concerned with the status of the program, but otherwise is very high on Michigan. He repeatedly denied this, and said he has no concern with the program whatsoever. His only concern is how he, as a tight end, would fit into the offense.
He hasn't received an offer yet, but the coaches have told them they're very close, and it will probably come soon. The highlight of his year came on a 97 yard TD catch.
- FL DE Anthony Chickillo tells me that he has around 42 offers, so far. He says he doesn't really have a top list yet, and I have to believe that's somewhat true, with that many offers. Chickillo has offers from all the top schools, including Michigan. He's not sure if he'll be visiting any time soon, because it gets expensive. He did say that Michigan would be one of the schools we would consider taking an official visit to.
The only film he has online is his Rivals page, so here's that. It's worth watching:
I'll post the rankings weekly in the diaries, and frontpage it occasionally (i.e. when Michigan gets commitments). The team rankings are very rough estimates until the services have released more full individual grades.
Action since last rankings:
3-21-10 Indiana gains commitment from Kirk Harris.
4-3-10 Ohio State gains commitment from Tommy Brown.
|Big Ten Recruiting Class Rankings|
|Rank||School||# of Commits||Rivals 250||Scout Average||ESPN 150|
I'll only make charts for the teams that currently have commits. Rivals 250 means that a given prospect is on the Rivals 250 to Watch, and ESPN 150 means that a prospect is on the Watch List for the ESPNU 150. Scout ratings are on the 5-star scale.
|#1 Ohio State - 7 Commits|
The Buckeyes grab in-state offensive lineman Tommy Brown, already their 4th OL in the class.
|#2 Michigan State - 3 Commits|
Spartans get the advantage over Michigan because of Thomas's ratings.
|#3 Michigan - 3 Commits|
Wolverines haven't had any new commits since Conway.
|#4 Minnesota - 2 Commits|
Still just two for the Gophers, who dropped Calvin Phillips last week.
|#5 Indiana - 2 Commits|
Indiana has had a commitment from Kirk Harris for a while, but the recruiting sites just picked up on it. Don't expect the Hoosiers to be in the top half of the conference for long.
|#6 Wisconsin - 1 Commit|
Instate linebacker Jake Keefer picks the Badgers.
|#7 Notre Dame - 1 Commit|
Carrico is the only commit for the Irish. They might have another coming very soon.
|#8 Illinois - 1 Commit|
Zook has got to be recruiting for his life this year.
|#8 Northwestern - 1 Commit|
Northwestern holds steady with one prospect.
DL Darian Cooper, from DeMatha High School just sent me a message to let me know he has been offered by Michigan. Cooper, who stands at 6-foot-3, and 280 pounds, received the offer yesterday from Coach Dews.
He is tentatively set to visit Michigan on May 21st, but might try to make it up earlier. Besides Michigan, he has offers from Penn State, Maryland, Illinois, Marshall, East Carolina, and Bryant.
As always, the highlights....
Here is LB Kent Turene's newest highlight video: