Tennessee is not recruiting well just because they got 18 dudes
Talking. Fifteen minutes of Rodriguez talking to ESPN follows:
What does it mean to be a guy who asks only questions that start with “what does it mean to be”? It’s a challenge, I’ll tell you that.
Or. Or. Or. The first depth chart loves the word “or” and has some stuff that might be too weird to take seriously, like “McGuffie OR Shaw OR Minor OR Brown” at tailback—all four will play but the ORs are probably a matter of injury more than reality—and previously buried LaTerryal Savoy the tentative leader at “Z” receiver.
Other items of note:
- Panter listed as the starting SLB with Evans the starting WLB; walk-on Kevin Leach is Panter’s backup.
- Steve Brown and Brandon Harrison are the starting safeties.
- Mike Martin is on the two-deep at DT; Jason Kates is not.
- No Junior Hemingway, no doubt because of injury.
- I dare you to look at the offensive line backups without throwing up.
Rodriguez had yet another press conference at which he related mostly the same stuff he’s related at every other one. Some items of note:
- JB Fitzgerald was a new guy mentioned in line for playing time as a freshman.
- The punt return job is between Warren and Odoms.
- Grady suspended for Utah and possibly longer.
- This quote is characteristically blunt: “The most damaging part, injury-wise, in camp was to our O-line, which was an area we couldn’t afford. Cory Zirbel went out with a knee and his backup, Mark Huyge, went out with an ankle. Now all of a sudden, we’re really scrambling, with already inexperienced players.”
- Moosman will start at either center or guard and the ORs on the depth chart indicate a race between Molk and—gulp—newly minted OL John Ferrara.
Three down. Reports have both Mediacom and Time Warner reaching agreements with the Big Ten Network, which would leave Wisconsin-based Charter the lone holdout amongst the vast array of cable and satellite providers serving the channel’s footprint. One imagines they’d have to cave shortly.
Why don’t you sit down? This guy on “To Catch a Predator” possesses the archetypical buckstache:
I mean, that’s just spectacular right there. Straight out of Central Casting.
Etc.: Touted Minnesota freshman Marqueis Gray gets dinged by the Clearinghouse and will not play for the Gophers this fall. More speculation that VT QB Tyrod Taylor will redshirt this fall… I think Newsome is gone but that has to help.