President Barack Obama is scheduled to give a major speech on the University of Michigan campus on the morning of Friday, Jan. 27.
He will speak at the Al Glick Field House, on South State Street on the athletic campus. This event will have a number of impacts on normal traffic, parking and transportation in the area – including commuter parking lots on South Campus used by many UMHS staff.
Those attending the President’s event are advised to arrive at Glick Field House as soon after 7 a.m. (when the doors open) as possible. Airport-like security screening will be set-up outside the entrance. Please plan accordingly. No entrance to Glick will be allowed after 9 a.m.
For more information about the event, ticket sales, and seating, please visit: http://vpcomm.umich.edu/pa/key/presidentobama.html
State Street Closure
State Street will be closed from Hoover Ave. to Stimson Street from 5 a.m. – 12 p.m.
U-M Bus Service Changes
All U-M bus service will operate according to their regular schedules and routes, with increased service for Friday as follows:
- Commuter South – Additional Commuter South buses will be departing from Central Campus Transit Center, beginning at 6:30 a.m. for service to the Al Glick Field House. Note: Do not de-board until the final stop along this route – at Crisler Arena.
- Bursley-Baits – Southbound service will commence at 6:40 a.m. from Baits housing. Plan to transfer to the Commuter South at the Central Campus Transit Center.
- Northwood Express – Southbound service will commence at 6:35 a.m. from the Fire Station. Plan to transfer to the Commuter South at the Central Campus Transit Center.
U-M Parking Changes
SC7 (Event Only: VIP, Media, Accessible Parking) – This lot will be closed to regular permit holders as of 2 a.m. Friday morning. The lot will be restricted to VIP, media personnel and persons (with event tickets) requiring accessible parking. VIP and media parkers will be required to show media badges or special event authorization documentation. Accessible parkers will be required to have an event ticket and a state-issued placard or license plate. Regular orange permit operations will resume at 12 p.m.
The following parking alternatives are available to Orange parkers on Friday, Jan. 27. Each lot is adjacent or close to the U-M Commuter bus line.
- SC4 (Yellow), SC5 & SC6 (Orange) – Each of these lots will honor orange parkers.
- SC2 (Visitors), SC32 (Blue) & SC36 (Orange) – These lots will be open to any parkers, with or without permits.
- SC35 (Yellow) will honor orange parkers.
Northbound Commuter bus route – Bus stops are available at the corner of Hoover and Greene as well as at the corner of Keech, Greene and Kipke.
Southbound Commuter bus route – Bus stops are available at Institute for Continuing Legal Education on Green St. as well as near SC5/6 on Kipke.
See the map for more details There is also still parking capacity on North Campus at the NC 91 lot.
For information about Friday’s closure on State Street, as well as impacted City Bus routes