Remember when we were arguing with Rutgers bloggers about which athletic director was worse?
Can't sleep. So listening to these Huge podcasts; here are some things from Balas. Some interesting tidbits in here and often in radio guys will be a little looser in lips than when written as its more of a stream of conscience. Here are some things I pulled out - again it is not gospel but some could be his interpretation of what he has heard.
- Heard on Saturday morning that Jim was making his own plans for the announcement.
- Even a month ago, this became a recruiting mission for Hackett.
- Repeated Harbaugh had agreed to the job for he believes $5M last time around.
- Last time around everything worked against UM in terms of how other chips fell; this time around the opposite.
- In part the love by the Michigan community played a part in this decision.
- Every Michigan captain that we talked to has reached out to Harbaugh - threw out Brady, A.C., Jansen. It overwhelmed him - not just him but his family.
- Expects parents to move from Wisconsin to Michigan.
- Anybody who says it is going to be a 2-3 year gig doesnt know JH; doesnt know his committment
- He wants to win championships and be mentioned up there with the Nick Sabans.
- Marching band members called back for Big Tuesday
- Michigan has felt very good about this for some time .... but JH is unpredictable
- At all times he is thinking about his current team
- It was a couple of Mondays ago he had a couple of hours to really sit down with Michigan and he began thinking seriously that this is what I am going to do (my comment - this was my conclusion as well when the gears really went into overdrive as Les Miles said "not going to Michigan off the record" and there were a flurry of Michigan insiders within hours all going very positive on twitter and on their respective boards, believe this was the Tuesday after SF had been eliminated from playoffs)
- If Brady Hoke had gone 7-5 he might still be the coach (egad)
Rest of interview was a short snippet about 2015 team and basically says he needs to find a QB, etc etc. And that Jim is tireless in a Bill Frieder sort of way in recruiting.
Also in the closing seconds of Bacon's interview tonight he said something to the effect of "I might have to put a pen to paper" in what seemed an obvious nod for how the Harbaugh "process" came to be. Will be an interesting read as well.
Not sure if this has already been discussed, but I am sure Brian will link to it in his Searchbits update Sunday. Tim Kawakami, the guy who refused to believe Harbaugh to Michigan was even possible, now acknowledges that it's happened. And it's beautiful.
Here's a small sample:
Two months or two weeks ago did I think Jim Harbaugh would jump from the 49ers to Ann Arbor, Michigan? No, I did not. Anybody who reads me knows I did not think that.
But credit to Michigan for landing Harbaugh--as multiple reports are now chiming in, very, very credible reports from CSN’s Dave Feldman (a high school friend of Harbaugh’s) and earlier Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole and Michigan-based John Bacon.
First reaction: Wow, the Big Ten is in for a jolt as Harbaugh attacks this project with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind, as I imagine he’ll put it. He was a whirlwind at Stanford and I believe he’ll provide the same electricity at Michigan, in the shadow of Bo.
The rest of his crow-eating is well worth the read. (He still thinks Harbaugh will eventually return to the NFL, as all NFL type people do, but even Sam Webb has said that.) I know some may be inclined not to give him clicks, but I thoroughly enjoyed every word.
I don't know what I'm gonna do, guys. I had really grown to love them. I'll be savoring these last ones, that's for sure.
I think it is fairly safe to assume Harbaugh is coming to Michigan. My question to the Mgoblaugh community is what will happen to our recruiting class now that we have Harbaugh?
I've read that Chris Clark and Rosen will now be very ineterested in Michigan. Who else has mentioned that Harbaugh would be a game changer for them?
Do you think any of our decommits will give michigan another look?
In the last 20 mins, the Detroit News is running the story. How soon will it take the ESPN's?
Will Coach be saying this next week again?