he grew a beard
Once again, Nissan is sponsoring this year's heisman and, by contract, receives one official heisman vote. Nissan in turn is opening its vote to the public, and whichever player receives the most votes will earn Nissan's official heisman vote. It's a daily vote, so some people (like me) require a reminder from time to time.
The post a couple days ago was pretty effective -- Denard jumped from 12% of the vote to 21% in a few hours -- so I will try to keep up the occasional reminder. If there's one vote he should be able to secure it's this one, given the breadth of the fanbase, the readership of the largest college sports blog on the interweb, and the benefit of alumni who are largely capable of operating a computer.
I know this isn't news, but ESPN is ridiculous. On the SportsCenter preview it says "coming up, Denard Robinson and how his skills will transfer to the NFL". Come on, guys. Give me a freaking break. He is a sophomore and having one of the most special seasons anyone has had in a while. Can we just talk about his passion for the game, his improvement as a Quarterback, and him winning for Michigan. . . anything but this. Why do you have to talk about him becoming a slot receiver, cornerback or returner. Give it up, guess what, DENARD IS A QUARTERBACK, and a true Michigan Man that will remain at Quarterback for a couple more years. Enjoy it.
Update: Mel Kiper says for Denard to try to be a QB at the next level would be a mistake, citing that Pat White didn't work out. And says Denard needs to try to be an "all purpose offensive dynamo", and cites similarities to Antwan Randle-El.
Just wondered if anyone had info yet on both our injuries and those of MSU players for Saturday.
I haven't seen much other than Shaw is likely to play.
Keshawn Martin - B10 Special Teams POW - You Tube of his Punt Return vs. Wisc...need to stuff this guy...
A friend of mine the other day said we should give Denard the number 1 jersey, but personally 16 is emblazened in my mind as Denard. What do you guys think?
Introduction - I was thinking of starting a weekly thread for people to throw down random thoughts, questions, considerations, and general what-have-yous that would not normally fit into another existing thread. I'm not sure about you all, but I often have a question or idea that is not worthy of a separate post but something that people might like to read/ponder nonetheless. Please let me know if this is a good idea (or bad) because I am fully aware that some (many?) may not give two hoot(er)s about what I'm thinking . . .
Nevertheless, here's a few things I've been thinking this week, in no particular order:
1. How great is it Denard is now known across the college football world simply by his first name. Mention "Denard" and most people know who you're talking about without further description. You know you've made it in the world if people know you by your first name alone. Big time.
2. Its been a few days since Lloyd Brady has been prominently featured on the MGoBoard and I miss him. Lloyd, where are you?
3. I've got a feeling that this game against Spartie is going to be a blowout, a big letdown for one side. Personally, I'm thinking Michigan is going to hammer Spartie. Of course, I have no real reason for this line of thinking - I just have a feeling that Michigan is going to get a few stops on defense early and its going to become the Denard show. If Michigan can get to the half up 20ish, it might be all downhill after that for Spartie.
4. I love Brian and his UFRs. He's made me a better man.
5. I'm worried about wearing my maize Michigan shirt out and about on Saturday afternoon. I DVR the game and watch in the evening after my toddler has gone to sleep and it never fails that someone says something about the game I am recording. Do I simply stay in the house from 3:30 until 9pm when I start watching? Do I go out without wearing my lucky shirt? Or do I go out with my lucky shirt and risk finding out the score or some info? This is my biggest fear during the football season . . .