he grew a beard
Keshawn Martin - B10 Special Teams POW - You Tube of his Punt Return vs. Wisc...need to stuff this guy...
A friend of mine the other day said we should give Denard the number 1 jersey, but personally 16 is emblazened in my mind as Denard. What do you guys think?
Introduction - I was thinking of starting a weekly thread for people to throw down random thoughts, questions, considerations, and general what-have-yous that would not normally fit into another existing thread. I'm not sure about you all, but I often have a question or idea that is not worthy of a separate post but something that people might like to read/ponder nonetheless. Please let me know if this is a good idea (or bad) because I am fully aware that some (many?) may not give two hoot(er)s about what I'm thinking . . .
Nevertheless, here's a few things I've been thinking this week, in no particular order:
1. How great is it Denard is now known across the college football world simply by his first name. Mention "Denard" and most people know who you're talking about without further description. You know you've made it in the world if people know you by your first name alone. Big time.
2. Its been a few days since Lloyd Brady has been prominently featured on the MGoBoard and I miss him. Lloyd, where are you?
3. I've got a feeling that this game against Spartie is going to be a blowout, a big letdown for one side. Personally, I'm thinking Michigan is going to hammer Spartie. Of course, I have no real reason for this line of thinking - I just have a feeling that Michigan is going to get a few stops on defense early and its going to become the Denard show. If Michigan can get to the half up 20ish, it might be all downhill after that for Spartie.
4. I love Brian and his UFRs. He's made me a better man.
5. I'm worried about wearing my maize Michigan shirt out and about on Saturday afternoon. I DVR the game and watch in the evening after my toddler has gone to sleep and it never fails that someone says something about the game I am recording. Do I simply stay in the house from 3:30 until 9pm when I start watching? Do I go out without wearing my lucky shirt? Or do I go out with my lucky shirt and risk finding out the score or some info? This is my biggest fear during the football season . . .
So, much has been made in the MSM of Kirk Cousins blossoming as a qb this year and how he should have no problem Chappelbombing the Michigan D. One major aspect of this game that I dont believe has received enough attention is that, this is the first time MSU will play a road game this season (Let's be serious Ford Field doesnt count). So I thought I would take a look at how well Cousins fared on the road last season. Needless to say I was not very impressed.
@ND- 23/ 35 -302 YDS - 1 INT- 1 TD
@WISCY-17/34- 201 YDS- 1 INT- 2 TD
@Minnesota- 21/35- 236 YDS- 1 INT- 2 TD
@ Purdue- 11/25- 208 YDS- 0 INT- 3 TD
TEXAS TECH Bowl Game- 13/27- 220 YDS- 2 INT- 1 TD
TOTAL AVG- 17/31.2- 233.4 YDs- 1 TD- 1.8 TD- Completion percentage 54%
Montana State- 10/17- 183 YDS- 3 TD- 0 INT (SPLIT TIME WITH NICHOLS)
Central Mich- 13/18- 164 YDS- 1 TD- 0 INT (SPLIT TIME WITH NICOLS)
MICH- 15/21- 152 YDS- 0 TD- 2 INT (RUSHED FOR 74 YDS THOUGH)
NW- 21/31- 281 YDS- 2 TD- 0 INT
IOWA- 16/32-255 YDS- 1 TD- 0 INT
WMU- 22-25- 353 YDS- 2 TD- 0 INT
PSU- 16/28- 155 YDS- 1 TD- 1 INT
TOTAL AVGS: 16/24.5- 220 YDS- 1.5 TD- .33 INT- Completion Percentage 65%
As you can see his outliers were in yards against ND and TD against Purdue. but overall not very impressive when away from the friendly confines.
At home outliers were yards against WMU, INT's against Michigan and TD's against Montans State. He obviously took care of the ball better at home with a little less yardage to go with.
I dont know what conclusions I draw from this other than I dont think Cousins is very good on the road and Saturday will most definitely be the most hostile crowd he has ever faced, as I expect it to be the loudest game at the Big House ever.
Cant wait for Saturday Go Blue!!! Sorry if my charts were a little spotty I dont know how to import one.
FWIW: This year in their "Road game" againt FAU Cousins stat line was, 9/17- 142 YDS- 1 TD- 1 INT
Check out the fourth paragraph.
Following the Big Ten's addition of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln, effective beginning in the 2011 football season, the conference will be split into two six-team divisions. Big Ten officials placed Ohio State and Michigan in separate divisions, but the Michigan – Ohio State rivalry will continue to take place at the end of the regular season every year. Conceivably, the teams may thereafter meet again the following week in the Big Ten Football Championship Game.
Has THE KNOWLEDGE been posting on wikipedia as well? I thought no decision has been made yet. Appropriately there is no cited source. Maybe just wishful thinking?
I read this in the Chicago Tribune this morning and just wanted to share how the MSM outside the state is viewing this game.
No. 17 Michigan State (5-0) at No. 18 Michigan (5-0), a flower that sprouted from a dump.
It would have been maize-boggling a month ago to think this Big Ten Conference stinker in Ann Arbor would have implications beyond the campus police station or an NCAA appeals board.
He goes on to create an angle that equates MSU's double-digit arrests with Michigan's NCAA investigation (emphasis mine):
There was not an employee in America on a hotter seat than third-year Michigan man Rich Rodriguez, who seemed on the precipice of dismissal after misleading a storied franchise to a 5-7 record last year. If losing wasn't bad enough, Michigan was also cheating, breaking NCAA rules for practice-time limits.
Then he gives Rodriguez a backhanded compliment, using the word "genius" but ultimately saying Denard's emergence was a complete accident.
Rodriguez isn't in the clear yet — his team started 4-0 last year before collapsing — but he somehow located his career repair kit. His decision to start sophomore Denard Robinson at quarterback over last year's starter, Tate Forcier, has thus far proven to be a stroke of genius. Or, "Why didn't I think of this earlier!"
It was like stumbling into Jackie Robinson.
So in summary:
- This game sprouted from a dump
- Twenty minutes of stretching is the same as violent assault
- Rodriguez stumbled onto Denard
link (print view):