LIST OF WWE PERSONNEL?!?
I found this article while I was at work and thought it was pretty cool. The article basically quotes Hart saying that his dream job is to coach at Michigan one day. Here is the link: Enjoy
As a rabid Michigan and Texas A&M fan, it seems to me that these two programs are on a similar path. However, the comparison I want to make is 2009 TAMU and 2010 Michigan.
Both have proven coaches (Rich Rod, Mike Sherman). Both have very talented offenses. Both have young players on defenses. Both have terrible defenses.
|2009 Rank||2010 Rank|
2009-10 A&M finished 6-7.
2010-11 A&M is currently 9-3.
What happened? A&M got a new defensive coordinator (Tim DeRuyter). Despite installing a new formation (3-4), there was a dramatic turnaround. By retaining his offense, and getting a new defensive coordinator, Sherman kept his job.
So, what does this mean for UM? Well, if Rich Rod can bring in a proven defensive coordinator (like DeRuyter) who runs a scheme suited to our strengths, we might see a similar turnaround. A conservative outlook might show a top-30 scoring defense to pair with a top-15 scoring offense. Given that 2010 Michigan has been handicapped with even more youth in the secondary than 2009 A&M, Michigan should show a larger benefit of an extra year of experience. (Additionally, Michigan's 2011 scoring offense should crack the top-10 as a result of the larger number of returners and a better defense).
Really, the turnaround hinges on who RR brings in to run the defense. Hopefully Brandon realizes that it would be premature to pull the plug on RR and uses all available resources to bring in an accomplished defensive coordinator.
2010 Texas A&M returned 9 starters on defense.
2011 Michigan returns 9 starters on defense.
2009 Texas A&M had 3 sophomores and 1 seniors starting in the secondary.
2010 Michigan has 3 freshmen and 1 senior starting in the secondary.
- Despite how we usually like to play quickly, I would slow the pace way down. I would take the play clock down to 5 seconds or less remaining. Defense is bad? Keep them on the sideline as much as possible.
- Throw the ball downfield early, esp. w/PAP off QB runs w/lead blocker(s).
- If we have a lead, run the ball a lot.
- Outnumber the offense in the run game; dare them to throw it.
- Against the pass, take away the quick throws and the deep ball. Make Pryor make intermediate throws like deep outs, comebacks, etc.
- Play a 4-man line. Let's let our DL take on as few doubles as possible.
- Pressure. Pressure. Pressure. Bring the heat as much as necessary. If it's 90% of the snaps, so be it. Secondary is vulnerable, so help them out by getting pressure any way you can. I prefer guys getting beat 1-on-1 for big plays as opposed to receivers running around in our "zone" with no defenders within 5 yards and getting at least 7 yards after catch. (Would love to see YAC stats from the Wisconsin game.)
With UT's loss to Texas A&M, they are not bowl eligible. Unless not enough teams become bowl eligible, allowing a bowl to pick a 5-7 Texas team for their bowl, we will not see UT in a bowl for the first time in a long time.
This is the same Texas program that hasn't won less than 9 games for each of the 12 years under Mack Brown. They have not won less than 10 games for the last 9 years. Their recent history has been so consisently great that we have had legitimate concerns about holding on to our winningest program claim.
EDIT: I saw I just got beaten to this. How do I delete?
I thought this was awesome. If someone has already posted this, please delete (I didn't see anything though)
(I like how this link says spartan instead of buckeye)