“On the offense last year, they had great spacing. That’s what I remember. Great spacing, great shooters, like Nik Stauskas, who’s not there right now. But they always have someone to fill the roles. They have a cutting offense, kind of hard to guard.”
Back in the natural field days, Michigan students used to throw marshmallows until the field was changed to synthetic because the marshmallows would stick to the turf on warm days.
It is my suggestion that Michigan begins a new tradition and everyone bring in Maize shoelaces to twirl.
First and foremost because it sucks to go through that and I hope he gets better. But also because I want his butt in the stadium when we beat State next week. I want him to watch it in person where he can't turn the TV off... Go Blue!
I have two things I want to address concerning the defense.
First, according to what I see on the two deep, we have Van Bergen, Martin, Banks, Roh, Ezeh, Mouton, Gordon, Kovacs, Gordon, Rogers, and Floyd as starters on the D. Not a single true freshman, so why all the talk about how "we are so unbelievably young on D". Yes, the two-deep adds freshmen, but 80% of the plays we're not THAT young. Now before all the haterz come out.....I'm just putting this out there, for the sake of discussion. Don't freak out.
My second point is about the general tendency to criticize a team with a good offense but a bad defense. For some reason, it seems that having a crappy offense and a great D gets a lot more love than having a crappy defense and a great O. For example, I don't think people would be freaking out about the offense if we had won every game 14-10. My question is, why does it matter? Whether we're winning 10-7 or 42-35, winning is winning.
To ask for a touch of defensive improvement is certainly not unreasonable, because this D just got torched all day today. But, great start to the season, 5-0!
Wow, where to even begin?
First off, I understand we have played 8 freshmen on defense but here are a few points that made me scream at the tv.
1. Craig Roh is not a LB. He does not have flexible hips to turn with anyone that runs a route and just looks out of place.
2. James Rogers may be one of the worst CBs I've seen. Every play had him lined up 10 yards off the ball and pointing his hips inside. Not like it mattered that he had to turn his hips all the way around b/c all they did is run outs and stops versus him; because he was 8 yards off the receiver when he caught the ball. There is a reason he was a wr, he has worse hips than GERG to play CB.
3. Why is Terrance Talbot not playing instead of Rogers? I know he has had limited time out there, but I swear he plays 3 yards off the ball and actually hits his receiver. This may be b/c of the scheme affected his placement on the wr but you cannot tell me he has not looked better than Rogers.
4. IF GERG DOES NOT HAVE CONFIDENCE IN ROGERS OR FLOYD AND CHOOSES TO PLAY 10 YARDS OFF ON A 3RD AND 5 THEN PUT IN A FRESHMAN, PERIOD.
5. I would be so pissed off if I was Martin or Mouton/Kovacs b/c the rest of the D is god awful.
Yes we're all pumped that Denard led us to another last minute victory, but lets not forget the guy who made 2 spectacular plays, including that jump ball that put us in the RZ with 21 seconds left. Props to you Junior, here's to hoping you don't sneeze and hurt yourself this week. Hemingway, Stonum, and Roundtree are all going to need to have huge games against MSU, because their LB core is all going to be playing QB Spy all game long.
I am looking at the matchups next week and I am wondering if there are any reasons for Gameday to not be in Ann Arbor. Go blue! Bend dont break!