at least it's not just us?
These are my random thoughts on the season and next.
1. I think Michigan can win games with either Tate or Denard, they are both great football players. So why not play both? Tate at QB and Denard all over the place. Even if Denard is a little better at QB Sept 4th.
2. Could Wolfork getting hurt be a blessing? Maybe a high profile recruit sees the scary thin depth and wants to attend michigan now. And even if not, we have some soild CB's returning, or at least more experianced. I still see at least 7 wins out of this team, could cost us additional games this year but still can't see less than 7. And next year the sky is the limit.
3. We have so much depth on offense it's scary. We have 5 RB's that I would not have a problem seeing on Saturdays. And about 7-8 WR's. 3 TE's and 2 deep mostly on the line. And the goal is to score more points than the other team, I know it's not ideal, but I wouldn't mind winning games 38-35.
4. Am I the only person who likes the outlook at LB? 2 Seniors who are directly under GERG and are athletic freaks. And Death Roh. I really think Obi and Jonas will play very well this year. 2nd year under GERG means they have to think less, and look what Robinson did with Stevie Brown in one season.
5. The Secondary looks more unstable than the Detroit Lions Secondary....That hurt to even type. Cam Gordon you better be a playmaker, cause the only interceptions I see us getting this year is if Ricky Stanzi still likes throwing the ball to the other team. However just like the lions, they hopefully won't have to cover anyone for long because the QB has our DLine in his face.
6. Get Stonum the damn ball!
7. Josh Furman will play, and play well. This is a bold opinion. But who really cares if i'm wrong? (you will probabally forget about this post in 5 min) He is an athletic freak and guys who can flat out play football can do just that. I remember watching his senior year highlight tape and I think the shortest run I saw was a 50 yd Touchdown run. ( RB in High School)
8. That is all. These are my opinions, and I obviously am not coach rod or a Analyst so take this however you will. I just felt like sharing some thoughts.
Saw this tweeted from Dylan over at UMhoops. The tweet was from Melanie Collins, who apparently does some work for BTN. She claims a "very reliable source" informed her of the transfer request. Also mentions it was "not yet confirmed". Take it for what it's worth.
Also, after looking her up google, she looks kinda hot. So there's that.
[mod edit: She has since deleted the post and followed up stating
Wow really struck a nerve w/ ppl. Like I said, NOT confirmed. We'll see what plays out.
[mod edit edit: the great TomVH has spoken to Forcier's father, who claimed no knowledge of this and laughed at the notion.
Penn State's preview is on BTN. Their QB's don't look that hot, but they have Evan Royster coming back. Still, I'm getting more confident that we can beat them.
1. reducing the ridiculously high turnover rate, and
2. added size in the trenches -- on the OL and especially DL to stop the run.
I still think those two areas will be greatly improved from last year. As for turnovers, UM finally has a experienced QB and offensive line. That should help a lot Think of the turnovers that stick out from last year (Purdue, Iowa, MSU in OT, OSU all game, etc...)
As for the size on the DL, we have added A LOT of good weight. Plus, our yound DL has added experience. The 90th run defense should be quite a bit better.
Even if the DB play is as bad as last year (it was looking improved, but see above), which is as bad as possible, I think the team wins at least 2-3 more games based on the factors above.
This is in no way an attempt to minimize our situation, which is serious. It does however help to keep it in perspective. The loss of Troy Woolfolk is is something we will recover from as a team, and he will be back next year even better.
With UConn coming in, interesting how things seem to parallel at times. While the situations are far from comparable, last year mid-season their top defensive back was killed in an on-campus shooting incident which obviously rocked the team and community (I am an M alum and all-blue but live in CT). They had a rough patch and lost some games after that but rallied toward the end of the season. We have a few weeks to do the same and I think we will.
I think if you were to ask Randy Edsall if Michigan could come back from this he would have to say..."yeah, they can", and without bitterness.
Let's be thankful for what we have and get everything back on the positive. Regardless of where I live (I in fact have one child currently in each University - yes we will all be there), I think Michigan comes out strong Sept 4 with a big win.
Just came across an article on the front of The Wall Street Journal (Online). Talks about new polices/rules that will take effect this year.
- "Starting with the Wolverines' season opener against Connecticut on Sept. 4, all designated smoking areas on Michigan Stadium grounds will be gone."
Good move IMO. Go Blue!